This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1261494



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437393

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/08/2012

SE 12 NW 5/126 03.11.54

STAUPS LANE (East Side) Staups House No. 34

(Formerly listed as No 34 (Staup's House and No 36 (Staup's Cottage)


Wool merchant's house. Dated 1684. Built for John Crowther. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs with ashlar coped gables with kneelers. Quoins and continuous ground floor band over windows. 2 storeys. Main west front has three gables with off-centre doorway approached up four curved steps. Wooden panelled door with round-headed moulded ashlar door surround topped with stone plaque originally inscribed "IC 1684". To left a single 6-light deeply-chamfered cross-mullion window and to right two similar 8-light cross-mullion windows both with slightly thicker central mullions. Above a 3-light mullion window in deeply chamfered surround over the doorway, flanked by single cross-mullion windows with 5-lights below and 3-lights above, plus a single similar window to right, all in deeply chamfered surrounds with hood-moulds. Left return has blank re-built wall where a fourth gabled wing has been demolished. Right return has blocked 2-light cross casement window in deeply chamfered surround with hood-mould and a former 5-light mullion window, above a similar 2-light window. Rear has later extensions and a single 5-light mullion window. INTERIOR has lobby entry plan-form, with a fine single flight late-seventeenth staircase with bulbous turned balusters and square newels with ball finials. Central room has large moulded ashlar fire surround reputedly moved here from nearby Shibden Hall, north room has 4-centred-arched moulded ashlar fire surround with flanking former cupboards. Chamfered beams. Seventeenth century plank doors and some eighteenth century panel doors. Some rooms have fragments of original panelling and cupboards. Seventeenth century partly exposed roof structure.

Listing NGR: SE1063026389

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 10630 26389


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261494 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 11:27:02.

End of official listing