CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1261627
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:02:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tawstock
National Grid Reference:
SS 55977 29924

Details

TAWSTOCK TAWSTOCK SS 52 NE 4/104 Church of St Peter - 25.2.65

GV I

Parish church. Probably C12 fabric to nave and chancel, entirely remodelled in early C14 when the crossing tower, north and south transepts and and aisles were added. Aisles heightened in late C15 with alterations to the tower and addition of 2-storey vestry at same time. Early C16 south chancel aisle. Restored 1867-8 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Stone rubble, dressed to south chancel chapel, roughly coursed to vestry, wityh collar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends and apex crosses. Embattled parapets to south and north aisle, vestry and tower. Basically cruciform on plan with nave, chancel, crossing tower, north and south aisles and transepts, south chancel aisle and 2-storey vestry. Crossing tower has Perpendicular pointed arched bell-openings of 2 cusped headed lights on each face with slate louvres. Single light cusped headed window to lower stage, south side. Gargoyles to top string on north and south sides. 3-light pointed arched west window to nave with corbelled hoodmould, the window shortened in late C15 when virtually semi-circular arched west doorway with moulded surround was inserted. Perpendicular 3-light pointed arched window to west end of north aisle. Nave south side has Perpendicular 4-light pointed arched windows with hoodmoulds flanking south porch C19 moulded door surround with sundial above by John Berry dated 1753. Inner pointed arch porch doorway with cavetto-roll-moulded surround and closely framed and ledged plank doors with original lock and handle. Fine ceiled porch waggon roof with moulded main and diagonal ribs with richly carved bosses at the intersections and trailing vine leaf pattern to the carved wall plates. Timber cross-ribs with stars of leaves at the intersections to the tympanum. South transept has tall Decorated 3-light window with ogee reticulated tracery and human head corbels to the pointed arched hoodmould above blocked pointed arched doorway with corbelled hoodmould and ogee-cavetto moulded surround. South chancel aisle has cavetto moulded wall plate and 2 early C16 granite straight- headed windows of fiyr 4-centred arched lights with labelled hoodmoulds flanking large stone shield with ogee arch surmounted by pinnacles and springing from spiral- twist colonnettes above 4-centred arched priests door with old boarded door, flat hoodmould with large foliated label stops. Perpendicular 4-light window at east end of chancel aisle with pointed arched hoodmould. Short buttress to each side of east end of chancel flanking Decorated 3- light window with octofoil tracery and pointed arched corbelled hoodmould. Small quatrefoil stone panel above. 2-storey vestry has straight-headed windows on the east side, that to ground floor with relieving arch and iron stanchions and saddle bars. 3 similar windows on south side. Chancel north side has 2 Decorated 2-light windows with quatrefoil tracery. Depressed 4-centred arched window of 4 lights to east wall of north transept above steeply pointed arched doorway. Decorated 3-light window with ogee reticulated tracery and pointed arched hoodmould to north side. 3 Perpendicular 4-light windows to north aisle. Short thick buttress at right end. Interior: spectacular array of rich furnishings, fittings and monuments. Early C14 arcades of 3 bays to north and south aisles, the square piers with applied C14 mouldings at the angles probably incorporating the fabric of the pierced earlier walls. The moulded sub-arches spring from corbels decorated with leaves and heads. 2 human head corbels to the north face of the 2 central north arcade piers indicate former north aisle roof line. Unmoulded and unceiled C15 waggon roofs to nave and chancel. North and south aisles have fine trabeated roofs of flat pitch decorated with variously carved heavy timber bosses at the intersections. Waggon-roofs to transepts, plastered over in C18 and decorated with long foliated trails with central and end star motifs. The crossing tower is supported on stone squinches forming an octagon with timber lierne ribs above converting to a square. Elaborate waggon-roof to south chancel aisle with every third rib and all the transverse members being richly carved, with bosses at the intersections. Segmental pointed arches to the crossing, and depressed 4-centred arches to chancel aisle and to chancel arcade of 2 bays with Pevsner 'B' type piers and foliated capitals. Furnishings: Nave: late C16/early C17 benches to rear. Font has square bowl on circular stem with elaborate C17 cover with crocketed ogee ribs and pinnacles around the crenellated drum. Font crane in situ. Pulpit has facetted drum with cusped ogee panels standing on 6 short turned balusters. Metal arm holding hour glass torch. North transept: 2 benches with carved bench ends, and 4 C17 benches. Fine family pew, rectangular with 2 solid back-walls panelled and segmental panelled and carved ceiling supported in front with 2 carved Ionic pillars. Gallery on east side connecting stair-turret and central tower removed to here in C19 with double band of paterae to the head rail supported on square balusters and trailing leaf decoration to the bottom rail. South transept: 2 elaborately carved bench ends. Trefoil headed piscina in east wall. Chancel screen with 6 tall narrow lights each side of the doorway. Square-framed, with moulded cornice. Screen between south chancel aisle and south transept, 3 bays with standard tracery and more elaborate cornice. Renaissance profiles in roundels to the spandrels of the doorway. Chancel: stone reredos of 1888, Beerstone. Alter table with linenfold panelling in the front. Some Barnstaple tiles survive in the chancel aisle. Chequered tiling to altar step. Reused C16 panelling to 2 pairs of bench ends in the chancel aisle. Glass: North aisle, west end: 3 armorial shields. North transept east window: some medieval glass to the traceried heads. South transept: the Resurrection 1888. Monuments: clockwise, from west end of north aisle: wall monuments to; Rebecca Burrows (d.1792) by Ermes of Exeter, Richard Haydon, late C18. Oval medallion surmounted by urn. Slowly family, early C18. Slate tablet with torched pediment and large cherubs to base. North transept: charity boards on west and north walls. Mrs Ann Chilcott (d.1559). Tall obelisk with female figure resting on urn. Robert Wrey (d.1809). Florence Lady Wrey (d,1724). Large chest tomb to Sir John Wrey (d.1597) and wife transferred from St Ive, Cornwall in 1924 with 3 tier nowy-arched back plate with achievement, cartouche and praying figures. 2 semi-circular arched panels divided by caryatid to front of chest. Crossing pier of north transept, east side: wall monument to Henry Northcote (d. 1729) by Tho. Jewell of Barnstaple. Oval medallions. Corinthian pilasters. Cherubs leaning on shields flanking central achievement. On north side, to Joan, daughter of Edward Lovet Esq (d.1679). Oval medallion, pilasters, achievement and winged cherub in base. Chancel: wall monuments to Rev., Chichester Wrey (d.1756) above tablet to Maria Naylor (d.1607). Lady Rolle (d.1705) above Rev. Bourchie Wrey (d(1839) by J Gould of Barum. Mary St John (d.1631). Ionic colonettes, achievement with broken pediment above praying, kneeling female figure with child at foot. Wooden C14 effigy of a lady in recess, dressed in wimple and mantle. Bourchier Wrey (d.1696). Beyond altar rail, massive alabaster tomb of William Bourchier (d.1623) with recumbent effigies, kneeling figures to head and feet, large strapwork cartouche and nowy- arched cornice with achievements. Jane Nailour (d.1705) south wall of chancels. South chancel aisle: free-standing statue to Lady Rachel Fane (d.1680), white marble, possibly by Balthasar Burman. Free-standing marble chest tomb to Henry Bourchier (d,1654), 4 dogs supporting sarcophagus with obelisks at the 4 corners. East wall: wall monument to Peter Bold (d.1665) servant to Sir Henry Bourchier depicting various armorial shields. South wall: Frances, Lady Fitzwarren (d.1586). 6 poster with Corinthian columns, recumbent praying effigy and elaborate strapwork decoration to the base and entablature. Wall monuments to Thomas Hinson (d.1614) and wife, the Surveyor and Receiver General to the Bath estate. praying kneeling figures facing eachother. William Skippon (d.1614). Kneeling figure in bold relief. Ionic colonnettes with amorino on pediment. North side: Sara Pollard, a servant to Countess of Bath (d.1652) and George Fane (d.1668). South transept; wall monuments to members of Wrey family including Ann Bourchier Wrey (d.1791= by King of Bath with woman reclining on urn, Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1826) by Stephens of Exeter, Sir Henry Bourchier Wrey (d.1782) by Youngs and Son of Barnstaple, Anne, wife of Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1813), lady reclining on urn, Mary Lady Wrey (d.1751) with marble sarcophagus. Free-standing urn on square pedestal to Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1784). 4 painted hatchments. South aisle: Edward Lovett (d.1700), Oval medallion in bold relief. Ionic colonnettes, twin cherubs busts to base. Robert Lovett (d.1710) 'of a milignant smallpox".

Listing NGR: SS5598329920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437098
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].