CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1261872
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1261872.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:18:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Somerby
National Grid Reference:
SK 96483 33962

Details

SK 93 SE OLD SOMERBY SCHOOL LANE

5/51 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 20-9-66 G.V. II*

Parish Church; C12, C13, C14, C15 with C18 and 1876 alterations and additions. Coursed rubble limestone with slate roof; ashlar with lead roof. Western tower, nave, south aisle and porch, chancel, vestry. Ashlar tower re-erected in C18 on earlier base. 3 stages with plain parapet. Small lancets to 2nd stage south side and 1st stage west side. 4 double belfry lights with blank foiled circle in tympana. North wall in coursed rubble with 2 stepped buttresses and large eastern buttress with small rectangular light housing stair to rood loft. 2 late C14 square headed 3 light windows with reticulated tracery. Ashlar clerestorey with plain parapet and 2 C15 2 light windows and triangular heads and hood moulds. 1876 vestry abuts chancel. Chancel in coursed rubble with slate roof. East window C19 restoration under original C14 decorated label stops. Late C14 square headed 2 light altar window, C15 priests door, C14 2 light window to south side of chancel. South aisle materials as chancel, with late C14 2 light east and west windows, and on south face a small C16 window under heavy hood mould, 4 light C15 window with 4 centre arch. 2 scratch dials beside the porch. C13 opening, door has reset early ironwork hinges. South clerestorey in ashlar, lead roof behind battlemented parapet three 2-light C15 windows with triangular heads of low pitch. Interior; arcade of 2 bays with quatrefoil piers with keeled shafts in the diagonals and double chamfered arches. Tower arch with C14 responds but arch reconstructed in C18. C12 chancel arch with semi-circular responds and nook shafts, both with scalloped capitals. Zigzag moulding to arch. Piscina in south aisle. Full stairs to rood loft on north side. Nave roof C19 reusing C15 tie beams. In chancel C19 piscina and 2 statue brackets on east wall. Fittings: seats and pulpit 1876 restoration although some reused C15 work in pulpit. C19 altar rail. Reredos erected in 1901 in carved oak with figures by Zwink and Hems of Exeter. Behind are set panels from C15 oak screen. Monuments: C14 recumbent knight in chancel, at his feet his horse and groom. Marble tablet 1684 to Dame Elizabeth Brownlowe, corinthian columns with an urn on top set in an open pediment, all garlanded. Smaller tablet to her daughter Jane d.1670, plus an epitaph to a virgin beneath. In the nave a marble tablet with corinthian pilasters and segmental pediment to John Hotchkin, Rector, d.1744. In the chancel floor 2 small brass plates, one with Coat of Arms and text to Peregrine Bradshaw d.1673, the other with Latin inscription to Robert Bawde d.1509. In the north aisle fragments of C14 stained glass of the arms of Threckingham family. Late C 14 octagonal font with traceried designs to 6 panels.

Listing NGR: SK9648333962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13282/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].