CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1262296
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WHADDON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:05:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, WHADDON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hilperton
National Grid Reference:
ST 88073 61473

Details

ST 86 SE 1365/4/207 29-OCT-1976

HILPERTON WHADDON (North side) Church of St Mary

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C14, 1770s Long chapel, chancel rebuilt 1879. Rendered rubble stone, dressed limestone, stone slate roof. Plan: nave and rebuilt chancel under one roof, north chapel off chancel, west bellcote, south porch. Gabled C19 stone porch to south with depressed Tudor-arched opening, coped verge with cross finial, fine C12 inner doorway with beaded chevrons and crenellations to round arch, restored pilasters with scalloped capitals, tympanum carved with beaded tendrils and palmettes, ledged door with scrolled ornamental hinges and bars, said to be C14. Nave to right has restored 2-light cinquefoil C16 mullioned casement with hoodmould, projection for rood stairs with 2-light cavetto-mullioned casement, diagonal buttress to right. 1879 chancel has 3-light east window with interlaced tracery. North chapel for Long family of demolished Whaddon House, has 2-light windows with Y-tracery, blind on north and west sides, open on east. North side of nave has 3-light C16 cinquefoiled window with hoodmoulds and blocked C12 north doorway with segmental-headed stone lintel on pilasters with imposts. West end has C14 two-light pointed window with ogees. Corbelled bellcote on west gable has diagonally-set shouldered openings, brattishing to base of short octagonal spire. Interior: C19 scissor-rafter nave and chancel roofs. Polychrome tiled C19 floors. Stone newel stairs to former rood loft, behind C19 pulpit. C19 octagonal stone font at west end. C19 seating. 1879 stained glass in east window to Walter and Richard Long, stone reredos below with three trefoil-headed arches on marble shafts. Stained glass over pulpit to George Merret, died 1945. Wide elliptical archway with dropped keystone leading to north chapel; contains collection of Long family memorials: large grey marble classical monument decorated with amphorae, Roman torches, Greek key pattern, to Walter Long died 1807 an important piece by King of Bath; large white marble monument to Katherine Long died 1814 with relief scene representing Job v.26; several C17 and C18 floor tablets to Long family, including one with brass inlay to Henrie(sic), died 1612. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8807361473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
435403
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01424/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].