SKELTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1262832
Date first listed:
25-May-1966
Statutory Address:
SKELTON CASTLE, MARSKE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SKELTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1262832.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 07:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
SKELTON CASTLE, MARSKE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Skelton and Brotton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 65178 19321

Details

NZ 61NE SKELTON & BROTTON MARSKE LANE (off west side) Skelton

3/32 Skelton Castle 25.5.66 G.V. I

Country house, c.1770; altered, and extended to east and on north, south and east sides of courtyard 1810-1817 by Ignatius Bonomi; other extensions within courtyard mid/late C19. Incorporates remains of medieval castle of de Brus family. Dressed sandstone with tooled margins. Shallow-pitched, hipped, Lakeland slate roofs and corniced stacks. Early C19 entrance front (south): 2 storeys, 5 bays. Middle bay projects slightly as quasi barbican, with battered plinth, segmental-headed doorway, panelled doors and embattled bartizans at angles. Sash windows with glazing bars; hoodmould to central window. Embattled parapet, with machicolations to centre bay. West front (c.1770): 3 storeys and basement, in 2 parts. 7 bays to right with slightly-projecting centre bay behind mid/late C19 external dogleg staircase, with flanking walls, leading to full-length sash window on ground floor. Blocked basement windows, 2 to left with chamfered mullions and iron bars. Sashes with glazing bars, altered and renewed on first floor. Embattled parapet. 8 bays to left, framed by 3-stage turrets. Slightly- projecting 4th bay. 2 blocked, chamfered mullioned basement windows; sashes with glazing bars, renewed in first 4 bays on first floor. First bay has canted ground-floor bay window with embattled parapet. Quatrefoil and cross-arrowloop ornaments in turrets. Embattled parapets. Single and 2-storey service wings enclose the courtyard and adjoin north end of west wing; all in similar style. 2-storey wing, incorporating remains of medieval chapel, adjoins rear of west wing. Angle buttresses at south-east angle; traces of blocked pointed full-height window in east side, now holding c.1600 double-chamfered, mullioned-and-transomed, ten-light windows with casements holding leaded lights. Window in gable above has trefoil head and sash with geometric glazing bars. Mid/late C19 extensions adjoin north and east sides. 2-storey gatehouse, to east of entrance front, has Tudor-arched opening to north and south, with boarded double doors. Tripartite opening in each face of first floor, with louvres and continuous hoodmould. Embattled parapet has clock faces to north and south. Single-storey stable wing, with embattled parapet and ornamental arrow loops in south side, links the gatehouse with the entrance front. Interior not inspected, but is said to contain C17 staircase with barley-sugar balusters, in medieval wing; flying staircase by Bonomi, with iron balustrade having anthemion motif; and C18 door surrounds and chimney pieces. Surrounded by dry moat, dammed in C19 at south-east end to form ornamental lake.

Listing NGR: NZ6516819305

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
432751
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12107/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].