CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1263030
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BILDESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263030.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:40:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, BILDESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Offton
National Grid Reference:
TM 06613 49637

Details

OFFTON BILDESTON ROAD TM 04 NE 6/135 Church of St. Mary 9.12.55 - I Parish church; mediaeval, mainly C14 and C15. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble, mainly plastered but the east chancel wall is in knapped flint of 1861. Freestone dressings. Plain-tiled roofs, with, at the east end, a parapet gable. The plain round-arched south aoor represents the C12 core of the building, but most features are of C14. These include: 3- light dagger-traceried east windows (this was restored or rebuilt 1861), and several 2-light side windows with curvilinear tracery, north doorway, a simple chancel piscina and a stoup inside the south door. Good and quite complete mid C14 south porch of timber on a mid C20 brick plinth: a heavy 2-centred doorway with ogee sidelights and cusped bargeboards; mullioned windows have different tracery in the head on either side, and the tie-beam and wall-plates have typical C14 mouldings. The tower is basically mid C14, with a 2-light west window with good tracery and grotesque corbels, and a quatrefoil sanctus bell window. The upper stage of the cower was remodelled or rebuilt c.1500; the battlemented parapets have flushwork panels with traceried heads and the belfry windows have tracery of this date, with grotesque gargoyles above. C.1500, the nave was re-roofed in 3 bays; each truss has unusual long square crownposts with ribbed corners, moulded capitals and bases and 4-way knee- braces. The cornice is embattled and moulded and the tie-beams have shafted wall-pieces bearing arch-braces with leaf carvea spandrels. Two opposing nave windows are of stuccoed brick with heavy hoodmoulds and different early C16 tracery. The early C16 south priest's door has graffiti (R.T.1586) on a jamb. Two sections of a well-carved C14 or C15 roodscreen, one converted to choirstalls, the other is in the tower. The stairs to the former roodloft are in the north wall. A fine C15 font of limestone, the octagonal bowl has angels with shields and roses, further supporting angels beneath, and lions at the angles of the stem. An early C17 octagonal pulpit has arcaded panels. A north nave window has in stained glass the original arms of De Bohun (Lords of Offton Manor 1312-77); other windows have more fragmentary mediaeval glass. Some good late C19 stained glass in the chancel and the cower. A marble floorslab in the chancel of 1682 and two others of C18.

Listing NGR: TM0661349637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433506
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/06843/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Powell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].