THE FORESTER PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1263519
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1990
Statutory Address:
THE FORESTER PUBLIC HOUSE, LEIGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE FORESTER PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1263519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 16:31:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE FORESTER PUBLIC HOUSE, LEIGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Ealing (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16656 79914

Details

The following building shall be added:- LEIGHTON ROAD TQ 17NE (north side) 5/99 The Forester PH II Public house. 1909 by Thomas Henry Nowell Parr for the Royal Brewery, Brentford. Rendered brick with granite plinth; gabled plain tile roof; corniced brick stacks. Domestic Revival style. 2 storeys, with 3-bay elevations to both Leighton Road and Seaford Road. Continuous ground-floor frontage, set on granite plinth and divided by piers with green tile facings, is linked by decorative iron railings surmounting dentilled cornice and plain fascia; original half-glazed doors set behind rounded open porch with Tuscan columns to corner, and two segmental-pedimented porches with Tuscan columns to Leighton Road; bracketed pediment over half-glazed door to public bar in centre of Seaford Road elevation; Tripartite wood-mullioned and transomed windows with 4-centred arches to lower lights and stained glass to upper lights. First floor has gauged red brick cambered arches over 3-light sashes flanked by shutters; two outer bays to Leighton Road have similar sashes to bow windows set beneath carved brackets supporting projecting gables with dentilled cornices continued round to Seaford Road elevation which has similar gable set over cornice and recessed first-floor bay. Left-hand return has conservatory to front of projecting bay with French window and flanking windows with glazing bars and stained glass upper lights. Interior: complete pub interior, with public bar to right of large saloon bar which opens onto restaurant to rear. Beamed ceilings; panelled dados; neo-Georgian fireplaces; mahogany bar counter and fittings with pilasters framing mirrors; Tudor-arched doors, with pedimented screens to saloon; saloon bar has panelled bar partitions; public bar has benches set against wall with turned balusters. The Forester is the most celebrated of Nowell Parr's pub designs, which formed a transition between the ornate pubs of the 1890s, divided into compartments, and the move restrained neo-Georgian and Tudor open-plan pubs of the inter-war period. (The Graphic, April 3 1909)

Listing NGR: TQ1665679914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Graphic' in 3 April, (1909)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00026/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].