CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1265111
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PONTEFRACT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265111.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:17:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PONTEFRACT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 48036 24150

Details

KNOTTINGLEY PONTEFRACT ROAD SE42SE (south side) Ferrybridge Church of St. Andrew 5/39 18.12.1963 (formerly listed in Ferrybridge) - II Church. C12 and c.1500; restored in C19 and removed to this site with alterations, 1952-3. Magnesian limestone blocks, brought to courses (now cladding internal structure of modern common brick), slate roof. Nave embracing west tower, north porch, south aisle (formerly north aisle), chancel with south chapel. Short 4-bay nave has in centre of north side a gabled porch protecting late C12 2-centred arched doorway with 2 orders of chamfer and colonnettes with waterleaf capitals, hoodmould with nail-head decoration (former south doorway re-located in this position when church was moved); to the left of porch, a C19 arched 2-light window, and left of this a C15 square-headed 4-light window with ogee-traceried heads; to right of porch, a cusped lancet, and further right 2 small lancets on different levels (this part being stair turret to tower). Tower has a round-headed west window in the lower and its upper stage (breaking through nave) has square belfry louvres, dripmould, and embattled parapet. Chancel has two 2-light windows of similar form, and similar 3-light east window. South aisle (formerly north aisle) has C19 windows of similar design, (modern flat-roof vestry attached at east end, not of special interest). Interior: round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, and in outer wall of tower a C12 round-headed west window with splayed reveal; 2-centred double- chamfered chancel arch with moulded caps to responds; 3-bay aisle arcade and 2-bay chapel arcade, both with octagonal columns, moulded caps, and 2-centred double-chamfered arches; tub font with reeded decoration to the side (perhaps C12); wall monuments include (i) in south aisle, a fine carved cartouche to Eleanor Crowle (d.1765) with angel head on apron; (ii) wall tablet to George Crowle (d.1744), in aedicule with broken pediment and apron with similar angel head.

Listing NGR: SE4803624150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
425999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01244/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Batchelor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].