ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1265501
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1981
Statutory Address:
ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC, PRINCE CONSORT ROAD SW7

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1265501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 03:15:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC, PRINCE CONSORT ROAD SW7

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26625 79408

Details

In the entry for: TQ 2679 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTWER PRINCE CONSORT ROAD, SW7 94/4 (south side) 25.9.81 Royal College of Music GV II the description shall be amended to read as follows: College. Designed 1889, built 1890-4 by Sir A W Blomfield; concert hall to rear 1899-1901 by Sidney Smith. Red brick with stone banding on ground floor and dressings. throughout. Five storeys with attics and double basements on steeply falling site. Symmetrical composition with entrance vestibule and staircase hall on central axis with concert hall behind; former examination rooms underneath this now sound studio. Main range with basement library, ground and first-floor offices with practice rooms above. Main facade of twelve bays with towers to either end capped pyramidal tops and tourelles. Central arched entrance with two subsidiary arched entrances flanking. Two centre bays set forward above, with superimposed orders of paired pilasters in free Ionic and Corinthian orders, and stone gable above with inset clock flanked by finials. Windows mullioned and transomed, mainly square-headed except alternate segmental heads to third floor, and those to towers and central gable which are semi-circular with cuspless tracery. Pediments to second floor windows. Bands between floors and cornice above third floor. Elaborate gabled dormers with pedimented tops and finials. Rear elevation with mullioned and transomed windows under square heads, a plainer design. Marble-lined entrance hall, double height with gallery and incorporating First World War memorial. Ceiling here and in former ground-floor council room, now offices, of Jackson's patent ornamental plasterwork. Elaborate doors to staircase hall, where imperial stair has simple iron balustrade, which leads on axis to Smith's concert hall. This has barrel-vaulted roof with coffering between trusses, which rest on massive modillion moulded cornice under square clerestorey windows arranged in threes. Under this five-light round-arched mullioned and transomed windows with floreate mouldings, their spandrels filled with reclining bas reliefs. Panelling below dado rail. Large stage (extended later C20 and not special) with round-arches over entrances either side of organ by J W Walker and contemporary with hall. Small balcony over entrances to rear, with above that a round-arched internal window. Most interiors of the main building retain original doors, cornices and mouldings. Of particular interest is the former Donaldson Museum, now part of the library, in the lower basement, with classical arcades - round-arched and with keystones - in the spandrels of which are paintings by Gaston de Vaere. Trabeated ceiling with elaborate stenciled decoration. Moorish gallery. Also impressive are the music rooms in the attic, with open timber trusses and dado panelling in Blomfield's distinctive idiom; these undergoing careful restoration in 1994. Source: Survey of London, vol. 38, South Kensington, the Museums Area, 1975, pp.228-30. -----------------------------------------------------------------

TQ 2679 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PRINCE CONSORT ROAD, SW7 94/4 (south side) 25.9. 81 Royal College of Music. GV II College. 1890-4. Sir Arthur Blomfield. Later concert room by Sidney Smith. Red brick, steeply pitched slate roof. Eclectic Gothic/Jacobean style. Four storeys plus basement and dormers. Symmetrical composition of twelve bays with towers to either end, capped by turreted spires. Central arched entrance with two subsidiary arched entrances flanking. Two centre bays set forward above, with superimposed orders of paired pilasters in free Ionic and Corinthian orders, and gable above with inset clock. Windows mullioned and transomed, mainly square headed except some to third floor, which segmental, and those to towers and central gable which are semicircular with cuspless tracery. Pediments to second floor window. Cornice above third floor. Gabled dormers.

Listing NGR: TQ2662579408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
424807
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Museums Area of South Kensington and Westminster: Volume 38 , , Vol. 38, (1975), 228-230

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01154/33
Rights: Copyright IoE RC Hopkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].