FULBECK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1270291
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
FULBECK HALL, CLIFF ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FULBECK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 11:09:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
FULBECK HALL, CLIFF ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Fulbeck
National Grid Reference:
SK 94733 50518

Details

SK 9450-9550 FULBECK CLIFF ROAD (west)

7/70 Fulbeck Hall (Formerly 19-2-52 listed under Lincoln Road) G.V. II*

Country house; Fragment of early C17 house, main block of 1733 with additions of 1784, 1802, 1840, 1894 and 1934. 1733 house probably by George Portwood of Stamford, and the porch before it, brought from Syston Park in 1934, probably by L. Vulliamy, 1824. Ashlar and gault brick with hipped slate roof having lead dressings, 4 ridge and 2 moulded wall stacks. Main east front is of 3 principal phases; first the main 3 storey block of 1733, second the apsidal ended gault brick wing added to the right in 1802 third the C19 porch. Front of 5 bays and 3 storeys with Doric pilasters on the upper part dividing the front in the rhythm of 2:1:2. The projecting single storey C19 porch has a moulded cornice, whilst the main block has a plain third floor sill band, interrupted by giant orders, a heavily moulded cornice and a deep plain parapet. Porch has a centrepiece flanked by engaged Tuscan columns containing an 8 panelled venetian door with fanlight, moulded surround and raised keyblock with, to each side, single light windows in plain surrounds. Beyond to left and right are glazing bar sash venetain windows in plain surrounds but with panelled aprons beneath. On the first floor is a central window with a broken pediment flanked by Doric pilasters. Above the window head is a roundel containing the date 1733. To either side are paired windows with elaborate Gibbsian surrounds and heavy built up keystones. The 5 second floor windows are plainer with moulded surrounds and built up keystones. All windows in upper floors are glazing bar sashes. To the right is an apsidal ended block of 2 widely spaced bays, the lower 2 storeys of which were built in 1784, with the topmost being an addition of 1802. The fenestration is concentrated in the right hand end, so on the east front there is only one ground floor window visible to the right, with two windows each on the upper floors. All windows are glazing bar sashes; the topmost ones only have plain surrounds. At the rear is a C17 service block with 2 mullioned windows; a survival from the house which burnt down in 1731, and which the 1733 block, built by Sir Francis Fane, replaced. Inside, the hall passage and dog leg staircase are all of 1733 with deeply carved bolection panelling, openings flanked by Doric pilasters and lit by a large semicircular headed window in the back wall. The staircase balustrade is particularly fine with pillars at the corners, and acanthus scrolls at the ends of the treads. The dining room, added in 1784, retains a fine 6 panelled door with fluted overdoor and cornice a white marble fireplace with original scagliola work and a well restored frieze of arabesques and palmettes. The drawing room was remodelled in circa 1840, and there is a fireplace of that date. The former dining room is now the library with panelling of 1894 which was extended in 1909. Apart from the addition of the front porch in 1934, some considerable restoration was required after the sterwardship of the house by the Army during the Second World War.

Sources:- 'Fulbeck Hall, Lincs.' by G. Jackson-Stops, Country Life, February 17th, 1972.

'Fulbeck Hall', by M. Fane, The Connoisseur, February 1981

Listing NGR: SK9473350518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459794
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 17 February, (1972)
'The Connoisseur' in February, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/05897/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].