14, 14A AND 16, ST JAMES' STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1270498
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1995
Statutory Address:
14, 14A AND 16, ST JAMES' STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 14, 14A AND 16, ST JAMES' STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1270498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 11:36:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
14, 14A AND 16, ST JAMES' STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57036 39857

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739NW ST JAMES' STREET 646-1/20/574 (North West side) 01/06/95 Nos.14, 14A AND 16

GV II

Formerly known as: Old Malt Cross Music Hall ST JAMES' STREET. Music hall, now cafe, and adjoining shops. Dated 1877. By Edwin Hill of Nottingham for Charles Weldon. Restored 1982-84, and converted to cafe 1987. Brick, roughcast, with stucco dressings. Glazed barrel vault to the music hall, slate roofs to the remainder. EXTERIOR: moulded string course and eaves. 2 storeys plus attics, with galleried basement and rock-cut cellar. The shops face the street, with the music hall entrance to the left, and the music hall itself at right angles. Front range, 2 storeys plus attics; 4 window range of square wooden oriels, with tripartite sashes and cornices. Above them, 4 round-arched through-eaves dormers with finials and plain sashes. Wooden shopfront, full width, with moulded cornice and cast-iron columns with foliage capitals. Ground floor has wooden shopfronts with central double door and round-arched windows, 2 and 3 lights, with wooden mullions and transoms. To left, a wide opening containing a bow fronted doorcase c1935 with crest. INTERIOR: music hall retains major original features. Laminated wood barrel vault, glazed, with tie rods and plaster centre panels. Central light well through all floors, now boarded over at ground floor level. Gallery on 3 sides with cast-iron balustrade, on cast-iron columns with elaborate foliage capitals. Cantilever dogleg stair with cast-iron balustrade. Replica panelling, bar, stage, canopy and rostrum. This building is a largely intact example of a galleried music hall, and has an early example of a laminated timber roof. The first is thought to have been at King's Cross Station, 1851-52, by Lewis Cubitt. St Matthias' Church, Nottingham (qv) 1868, by TC Hine, also has one. (Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire: Featherstone HL: Nottingham: 1962-: 96-106; Curl JS: Victorian Architecture: 1990-: 210).

Listing NGR: SK5703639857

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458552
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curl, JS , Victorian Architecture, (1990), 210
'Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire' in Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire, (1962), 96-106

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07873/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Greaves. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].