This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

List entry Number: 1271301

Location

MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION, CARRINGTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 454892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building:

NOTTINGHAM

SK5739SW CARRINGTON STREET 646-1/23/87 (East Side) 12-JUL-1972 MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

GV II

Shall be upgraded to:

NOTTINGHAM

646-1/23/87 CARRINGTON STREET 12-JUL-72 (East side) MIDLAND RAILWAY STATION

GV II*

Railway station. 1904. By AE Lambert and Charles Trubshaw for the Midland Railway Company. Constructed of a mixture of red brick, terracotta and faience (glazed terracotta) with slate and glazed pitch roofs over the main buildings. Neo-Baroque style.

PLAN: frontage forming porte-cochere, booking hall and offices, platform buildings, overbridges, Transport Police offices. Main frontage and booking hall span the tracks, and are linked to the platforms by stairs and lifts. Covered overbridges and stairs link the platforms.

EXTERIOR: frontage has plinth, dentillated cornice, balustrade, rusticated columns, windows with cornices or pediments in Gibbs surrounds, pedimented doorways. carriage entrances have good Art Nouveau wrought-iron gates. Symmetrical front, single storey, 9 bays, has central domed clock tower, 2 stages, with paired Tuscan columns and pedimented windows. Round-arched doorway flanked by single windows, then elliptical arched carriage entrances with enriched pediments. Beyond, bays with 3 windows, then further carriage entrances with flat gables. End bays with a window to left and door to right. Returns have pedimented carriage entrances flanked by round arches. Right return has an attached boundary railing with square gate piers. Porte cochere has glazed iron truss roof. To right, police office, domestic style, 2 storeys, L-plan. Attached to its left return, a cabmens' shelter, wooden, with extensive glazing and lean-to tile roof. Towards the rear of the station complex, fronting Station Street, is Forward House, which is the former parcels office.

The outside of the booking hall has polychrome bands and similar Baroque detail. 3 round-arched openings flanked by doorways, then by wider arched openings. Above, 5 round windows.

INTERIOR: the booking hall has glazed tiles, paired Doric pilasters, round-arched openings and round windows. Coffered ceiling with central glazed barrel vault. Diocletian end windows. At the rear, a covered footway spanning the tracks, with a staircase and lift tower at each end. Platforms 1-5 have mainly single storey buildings with Baroque detailing and round-arched openings with fanlights. 2 storey block, 10 bays, on platform 2/3. Continuous canopies with renewed sheet steel roofs and wooden valances, carried on riveted lattice girders and cantilever brackets. Riveted steel stanchions with cast-iron bases. Footbridge spanning platforms and tracks, with glazed cross-braced structure and roof. Platform buildings retain most of their original detail. The interior of the buffet on platform 4/5 has original terracotta ornament, painted over, including pilasters, chimneypiece and coved ceiling. HISTORY: The third Midland Station to have been built in Nottingham. Built in response to the challenge made by the Great Central Railway and the facilities provided by its grand Victoria Statiion which opened in 1861 (now demolished). Having cost approximately £1M, the station was opended in to the public on 17 January 1904, although final completion not reached until later in that year.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE

This is an important and outstanding complex of railway station buildings and structures. The station has survived exceptionally well. The high quality of its Neo-Baroque architectutre, rare among English railway stations, and the importance of the American influence on its design, the first to exhibit this, add extra significance and make it of outstanding national importance.

The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 247

Nottingham Railway Station. An Architectural Assessment: Minnis J: May 2005. Unpublished

Listing NGR: SK5744539204

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 247

National Grid Reference: SK 57445 39204

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1271301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 08:58:35.

End of official listing