NUMBER 7 BOATHOUSE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/29)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272291
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 7 BOATHOUSE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/29), MAIN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272291.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:05:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 7 BOATHOUSE (BUILDING NUMBER 1/29), MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 62968 00423

Details

SU 62OO SE MAIN ROAD (East side} HM Naval Base 774-1/18/211 No 7 Boathouse (Building No.1/29)

GV II

Mast house then boathouse. 1875 (Riley) on site of earlier boathouse. Timber-framed with weather-board cladding, north-east section of red brick with some blue headers in English bond. Hipped corrugated iron roofs. EXTERIOR: four parallel ranges of one storey; 2:2:2:2 x 18 bays, built out over Mast Pond (qv). Small-pane wooden windows in projecting wood frames. Board doors. Built on wood and iron substructure which has iron posts with wooden braces to iron girders and wooden joists. South-west elevation: 8 continuous wide entrances with folding doors. Rear: double board door to weatherboarded left-hand section. Right-hand section is of brick and has 3 recessed bays with flanking pilasters (paired each side of central bay) and stepped, cogged, heads each having central round- arched entrance (now bricked up) with brick "imposts" and 'keystones". Left return: left-hand section is of brick and has tall recesses with cogged eaves and replacement windows below gauged bright- red brick flat arches. Right return: bracketed iron balcony; 18 windows. INTERIOR: square timber posts with braces to longitudinal and cross- beams. Wooden roof trusses with iron king pins and plank ridge- piece. Skylights in northern pitches of roofs. HISTORY: one of a pair of boathouses with No.5 (qv), and with the Lower Boat House, Chatham (qv), the last surviving examples of a once-common type used for building and storing small boats. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 145 ; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 409-410 ; The Portsmouth Papers: -Riley R(: The- Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 11).



Listing NGR: SU6296600429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476678
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 145
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 409-410
Riley, R C, 'The Portsmouth Papers' in The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth, (1985), 11

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05056/11
Rights: Copyright IoE David R. Grounds. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].