CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1272725
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1272725.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:44:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Flawborough
National Grid Reference:
SK 78221 42860

Details

FLAWBOROUGH MAIN STREET SK 74 SE (north west side) 5/59 Church of St. Peter 1.12.65

G.V. II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1841. For Rev. Sturton. Restored 1892. Vestry 1892. Brick, partly rough cast, with gabled slate roofs. Ashlar dressings and chamfered plinth. Windows are mainly single and double chamfered lancets with iron lozenge shaped glazing bars. All windows have hood moulds. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, moulded eaves, coped parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 clasping buttresses, 2 setoffs. First stage has to south, a lancet. Above, late C18 slate and ashlar tablet. West side has re-sited and re-cut Cll doorway with zigzag, nailhead and scallop bands, 2 pairs of colonettes with leaf and scallop capitals. Above, datestone inscribed: "This Church rebuilt 1840". North side has rounded stair turret with conical slab roof and curved Gothic style door. Second stage has to south, blocked round opening. To west, cusped C13 style double lancet with projecting quoins and hood mould. Third stage has 4 single lancet openings. Nave, 2 bays, has moulded eaves and coped parapet and gable. On each side, 3 ashlar buttresses and 2 double lancets with Y tracery. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable with kneelers and cross. East end has C14 style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2 mullioned casements with cusped heads in square headed reveal. Vestry, single bay, lean-to, has wooden double lancet to north. East end has pointed doorway with re-set conical finial. Chamfered and rebated elliptical tower arch. Tower chamber has draught screen with Gothic tracery. Aisleless nave has strutted king post roof. Chancel has similar lower roof. Chancel south side has to east, restored C13 piscina. Vestry has no architectural features. Fittings include C12 font bowl with interlaced arcading, with C19 cover and octagonal base and stem. Softwood stalls, desks and benches, similar panelled octagonal pulpit, altar rail on scrolled iron stands, bracketed wrought iron lectern, all 1892. Framed donations board referring to 1841 restoration, with painting of previous church and inscription. Monuments include oval cast iron tablet with sarcophagus, to Ellen Bland, 1822. Gabled marble tablet on brackets, with dove and scroll, 1850, signed "Davies, West Brompton."

Listing NGR: SK7822142860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448067
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06531/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Lawrence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].