FORMER ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1273239
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
FORMER ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, GARRISON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273239.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 16:47:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER ROYAL DOCKYARD CHURCH AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, GARRISON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 91461 75154

Details

TQ 9175 SW GARRISON ROAD Sheerness Dockyard 933/2/87 Former Royal Dockyard Church and attached wall 07.12.1966 And railings

GV II*

Dockyard church, community centre, now disused. 1828, by George Ledwell Taylor, architect for the Navy Board, and Sir John Rennie Snr, engineer; rebuilt with the former clock tower after a fire in 1884, used as squash court late C20. Yellow stock brick and sandstone ashlar dressings, brick lateral stacks and slate roof. Neo-classical style. Rectangular plan. EXTERIOR: E end has a large central Venetian window with panelled architrave flanked by paired pilasters beneath lateral stacks, with narrow outer bays containing single segmental-arched and taller upper round-arched windows. These windows extend along 7 -bay N and S sides with a first-floor cill band, the end bays separated bya pilaster and containing doorways with double doors. The imposing W front has a full-height pedimented tetra style Ionic portico, the outer bays with windows as the sides, a large central doorway with smaller ones each side with double doors each with 6 raised panels, architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices, beneath round-arched upper windows. The 1828 clock tower is square with banded rustication and a clock face to the lower stage beneath a cornice, paired pilasters to the upper bellcote stage with round-arched louvred windows, and a cornice and iron railings. All windows blocked at time of inspection. INTERIOR not inspected; but recorded as having had a gallery on three sides on square, panelled supports, panelled front, and fluted upper columns to a roof with segmental-arched central section, and W narthex. Most of the fittings reported to have been removed in conversion to squash court. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: curved lawn to front surrounded by an attached dwarf retaining wall with granite coping, and remaining sections of cast-iron spear-headed railings, gate piers and lamp brackets. HISTORY: externally the most impressive of the three surviving royal dockyard chapels, and still in its original setting with the officers' Naval Terrace (qv), though altered internally. Unlike the other royal dockyards, Sheerness was all rebuilt at the same time. The church lies within the little-altered SE corner of Rennie's model layout, which also contains the entrance and officers' accommodation, and forms part of a unique planned early C19 dockyard. (Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 74; Rennie Sir J: Sir John Rennie's Treatise on Docks and Harbours: London: 1851:41; Sheerness the Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995:1).



Listing NGR: TQ9146175154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
445786
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheerness The Dockyard Defences and Blue Town, (1995), 1
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 74
Rennie, J, Sir John Rennies Treatise on Docks and Harbours, (1851), 41

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10950/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].