Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1273520
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1963
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, High Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1273520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:35:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, High Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Swale (District Authority)
Parish:
Eastchurch
National Grid Reference:
TQ 98835 71422

Details

933/13/130

EASTCHURCH HIGH STREET (north side) Church of All Saints 27-Jun-1963

GV I Church. Rebuilt 1431-32 after the previous church fell into ruin. Pevsner suggests that the two-light Decorated windows at the west end are reused. Chancel roof repaired after fire damage of 1922. Said to have been designed by William Nudds, a Cistercian monk of Boxley and built by lay brothers from Boxley Abbey. One major Perpendicular building campaign.

MATERIALS: Kent ragstone rubble with knapped flint merlons to the embattled parapets and chequered flint and stone parapet to the tower; buttresses with knapped flint panels; lead roof.

PLAN: west tower with west porch, nave, chancel, north and south aisles; north porch; north east organ chamber; south east chapel; north vestry.

EXTERIOR: grand externally with deep battlemented parapets throughout above a moulded stringcourse. Diagonal buttresses to aisles, chancel and tower. Aisle windows mostly two-light with shallow segmental heads and cusped lights, stonework much renewed; similar five-light east window. Decorated style two-light windows at west end of north aisle with quatrefoils in the heads. The porch is similar to the medieval north vestry. Shallow embattled west porch with a medieval west doorway. Three-stage west tower with two-light medieval windows matching those of the aisles. North east porch with renewed Clipsham stone outer doorway. INTERIOR: porch has late medieval roof. Arcades with octagonal piers with concave sides, moulded capitals and arches. Wide chancel arch to match. Handsome shallow pitched C15 nave roof, an unusual design for Kent, with moulded tie beams with short curved braces springing from carved timber angel corbels holding shields. The roof is divided into large panels by moulded ribs with carved bosses and half bosses at the intersections and central bosses of very large winged angels holding shields.

The chancel roof is similar, with three bays: the post 1922 repair is difficult to identify from the ground. Aisle roofs are similar but plainer, the braces on plain stone corbels. Double-chamfered tower arch on moulded corbels. Tower was intended to be stone vaulted and preserves the corbels and first courses of vaults in the corners. Eleven-bay chancel screen, the full width of nave and aisles with wide bays flanking the central entrance. The screen has lost its rood loft and has been extensively repaired. No reredos. North and south hagioscopes (squints) to chancel. South east chapel lined with unusually lavish Jacobean two-tier panelling: similar panelling in the tower. The panelling originated from the former Cathedral of St Martin at Ypres.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: choir stalls with elaborately-shaped ends and poppyhead finials. Square-headed bench ends with recessed panels to nave benches. Plain octagonal stone font on moulded stem and base. Early C17 timber drum pulpit on a probably later bracketed stem, the sides of the drum decorated with strapwork and field panels. Two George II brass candelabra.

Monuments include, on the south side of the chancel a fine alabaster chest tomb with effigies commemorating Sir Gabriel Livesay, d.1622 and his second wife, Anne. An African's head is incorporated into the design. Marble monument on the north wall of the chancel to Vice Admiral Sir Richard King who captained HMS Achilles at the Battle of Trafalgar.

Several late C19 stained glass windows. 1912 window by Karl Parsons Charles Stewart Rolls (of Rolls-Royce) and Cecil Stanley Grace who died in a flying accident in 1910.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: the church is an outstanding example of a Perpendicular church, built largely in one phase in 1431-32. It has six medieval roofs, the nave and chancel of unusual design for Kent. Fittings of interest include a rood screen and monuments.

Sources. Pevsner, North East and East Kent, 1983, 303-304 www.fsearle.freeserve.co.uk/Allsaints_history.html

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
444609
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04288/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Surita. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].