ISLEKIRK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1274096
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
ISLEKIRK HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ISLEKIRK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1274096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 21:21:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
ISLEKIRK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Westward
National Grid Reference:
NY 25943 44526

Details

NY 24 SE WESTWARD

7/186 Islekirk Hall (formerly listed as 11.4.67 Islekirk Hall and adjoining cottage)

II*

House. Mid C16 with late C17 and C19 alterations. Red sandstone rubble and dressed stone on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with stone chimney stacks. Extension of coursed red sandstone rubble under Welsh slate roof with brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 7 bays, with lower 2-bay extension to left. 2 top-glazed panelled doors in C19 painted stone surrounds. Sash windows, those on both floors in 3 left bays in painted architraves with cross-mullions removed; those to right in painted stone surrounds; 2 upper-floor painted false windows. End wall to left has 3-light stone-mullioned window with round-headed lights, partly blocked by extension. Extension has plank door in alternate-block surround. Sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds. Rear wall of house was the original front. Plank door in C19 stone surround, which is blocking a former window or doorway of which 3-lights remain above, partly blocked. 0thers 2- and 3-light double-chamfered with round-headed lights, 2 blocked, those on extreme left with mullions removed and upper floor window enlarged. Projecting 2-storey and single-storey outshuts cover remainder of facade and are not of interest. 2 stones with diamond broaching suggest that these and other stones come from the Roman fort at Old Carlisle nearby. Site of the Hermitage of St Hilda. Tenanted by the Barwis family as early as 1529 and was granted to them in 1544, remaining in that family until 1708. See Hudleston & Boumphrey, Cumberland Families and Heraldry, 1978, pl5; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, 1, pp135-151; li, ppl17-136.

Listing NGR: NY2594344526

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
416212
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hudleston, , Boumphrey, , Cumberland Families and Heraldry, (1978), 15
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 117-136
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 135-151

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12055/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].