Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1275459

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1275459 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 05:21:11.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Ashford (District Authority)

Parish: Wye with Hinxhill

National Grid Reference: TR 04861 42619



3/268 Church of 27.11.57 St Mary (formerly listed under the parish of Hinxhill)


Parish church. C13, C14 north chapel and aisle spire rebuilt 1797 general restoration 1881. Ragstone with red brick porch and buttresses. Plain tiled roof and shingled spire. Chancel with north chapel, nave and north aisle, western tower and south porch. Single stage tower with large offset diagonal buttresses, and with broach spire. Shallow roll mould to west door. Irregularly bonded C17 brick south porch (now vestry). Perpendicular fenestration to nave (some C19 restoration) and ogee headed C14 windows to chancel, chapel and north aisle, with lancet windows to east and west ends of both chancel and aisle/chapel (re-used from C13). Interior: simple C12 tower arch on imposts. Three bay north arcade with round piers and octagonal capitals and octagonal responds. Restored tie- beam roof and lean-to roof to aisle. Wooden chancel arch/screen erected (and dated) 1637, with enriched bowed arched braces and traceried upper section. Wooden arches to north aisle/north chapel in similar vein but of c.1881. Chancel with roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C13 sedile and trecusped piscina in chancel and ogee headed piscina or aumbrey in north chapel east wall. C19 altar rail reredos font and lecturn. C16 Perpendicular panelling used as wainscotting in chancel and incorporated into reading desk and pulpit (n.b. benches dated 1834). Fragment of C17 painted glass in vestry. Brass inscription in nave to Robert Gateley, d.1514. Monument: Robert Edolph, erected 1632. Large standing alabaster monument. Black Corinthian columns support a broken segmental pediment with 3 arms cartouches over lifesize figures of Edolph and his Lady kneeling at a prayer desk with double arcaded background. Paired skulls below to either side of inscription and verses. Charity board in tower, with cornice on pilasters, recording the gifts of Martha Wade, 1825. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 352).

Listing NGR: TR0543142993


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 411819

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 352

End of official listing