Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1277633.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:05:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cherwell (District Authority)
South Newington
National Grid Reference:
SP 40747 33338


SOUTH NEWINGTON THE TOWN SP4033 (North side) 11/274 Church of St. Peter ad Virtcula 08/12/55


Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Restored 1595, 1755, 1822-3 and 1892-3. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Lead and Welsh slate roofs. Limestone dressings. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. C12 chancel: North and south windows of 2 lights with quatrefoils in heads. 3-light Perpendicular east window. Pointed arched doorway to south has moulded jambs, hood mould and plank door. Nave: C12, four 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows to north and south. North aisle: C12, two- and 3-light Decorated windows have reticulated tracery. East window transitional from Decorated to Perpendicular. Pointed arched doorway to right has hood mould and label stops. Plank door. South aisle: c.1290-1300. 2 lancets to west end: two- and 3-light windows with Y-tracery, Perpendicular tracery and intersecting tracery. South doorway: c.1300. South porch: C15, wide 4-centred arch with quatrefoils in spandrels. Canopied niche above. Crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. West tower: Early C14. 3 stages. Pointed arched west doorway has hood mould with label stops. Plank door. 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet. Interior: Chancel has Decorated piscina with ogee head. Nave: 4-bay arcades to north and south. Wider pointed small arched bay to east c.1300. North arcade has 2 plain round Romanesque arches and circular piers with scalloped capitals. Pointed arch to west. South arcade has pointed arches. The 2 west arches have 2 orders of hollow chamfers and a round pier with a moulded capital. The 2 rectangular piers to the east have capitals with nail head decoration. C12 round font has a band of zig-zag decoration. Box pews. C14 glass fragments in chancel windows. C17 achievement of arms in window of south aisle to the Hall family. Wall paintings: noted as the finest group of medieval wall paintings in the County. C14 fragments over chancel arch. North aisle paintings c.1330 (Professor Tristram) in Courtly style, oil on plaster: St. Margaret and the Dragon; St James with kneeling doner; the Martyrdom of St. Thomas-a-Becket; the murder of Thomas of Lancaster. Nave arcades: Late C15 paintings of the Passion series, in primitive archaic style. Monuments: South aisled to Gamvel Hall interred 1639; wall plaque to John Lane, d.1671. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol XI, p,137, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.771-3).

Listing NGR: SP4074733338


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 771-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 137
Tristram, E W , English Wall Painting of the Fourteenth Century, (1954)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10520/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].