This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1281035



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wrawby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165957

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WRAWBY BRIGG ROAD HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264 TA 00 NW (south side) 8/50 Church of Saint Mary 6/11/67 GV I Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 tower with later C13 upper stage, C13 north arcade and north door; C14 south arcade, south door and aisles; C15 south chapel, nave clerestory and tower parapet. C18 south porch. Restorations of 1869-70 included rebuilding chancel, re-roofing, re- flooring, re-seating and repairs to windows. North porch of 1887-8. Nave re-roofed and other roofs re-covered in 1950s. Limestone and ironstone rubble and squared blocks with limestone ashlar dressings and tower parapet. South porch of brick, partly in Flemish bond; brick patching to north aisle. Lead and ashfelt roofs; slate roof to north porch. West tower, 4-bay nave with 3-bay aisles, north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with single-bay chapel adjoining south aisle. Quoins throughout. 2-stage tower: first stage has C19 buttresses, restored west lancet with hood-mould, lancet to south, clockfaces to north and west, string course. Restored pointed 2- light belfry openings with C19 Y-tracery, original hood-moulds and headstops. Projecting embattled parapet with crocketed gabled coping and crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle: original west buttress, C19 north buttresses; C19 square-headed 2-light traceried windows, similar east window with restored tracery, restored pointed 2-light west window with reticulated tracery, hood-mould and weathered headstops. South aisle: restored buttresses, square-headed 2-light west window, 2 similar C19 3-light south windows; former chapel adjoining south side of chancel has 4-centred west window with 3 cinquefoiled lights and restored mullions, and similar C19 south window with hood-mould and headstops. Clerestory: 3 square-headed 3- light windows with single 4-centred arch 3-light window to east bay, all C19 restored. Chancel: chamfered pointed door and restored C15 square-headed 2- light cinquefoiled window to north, C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. South porch: outer segmental brick arch, pointed wave-moulded inner arch. North porch: angle buttresses, pointed moulded outer arch flanked by buttress shafts with crocketed pinnacles; single traceried side windows. Pointed chamfered inner arch with weathered hood-mould and headstops. Interior. Tall pointed triple-chamfered tower arch with damaged dogtooth hood-mould and inner order on octagonal responds. 4-bay north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases on square plinths. Similar south aisle with moulded capitals, perhaps re-cut in C17, moulded bases on tall square plinths, and wider fifth east bay to former Tyrwhitt Chapel. South-west respond rebuilt with section of shaft on moulded corbel supported by carved winged angel holding shield and re-set Romanesque carved head corbel; fragments of incised C13 gravestones re-set in wall below. South-east pier has pair of carved heads above capital, and moulded corbel base for former statue; similar corbel to neighbouring pier. North aisle: squint with piscina below, square-headed door to rood loft above; former roof corbels, one a mutilated carved head. Monuments in chancel: C16 ashlar altar tomb (ascribed by 1880 plaque to Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby, d1548), re-set from south chapel, has moulded plinth, carved relief frieze with shields in quatrefoils alternating with traceried panels, and panel behind with indents for brasses below a straight-sided 4-centred arch and frieze of pointed quatrefoils; mid C18 ashlar wall tablet to Robert Draper and others with carved Gothick surround; marble wall tablet of 1757 to Thomas Waterworth, schoolmaster of Brigg, inscribed in Latin; C17 - C18 floor slabs; marble wall tablet to William Watson of 1773 with pilastered surround. Painted board of 1687 at west end of south aisle recording bequest of Ellen Trippe. C13 font with octagonal bowl bearing inscribed geometric traceried panel, on 8 shafts and later base. Fragments of C14 glass in north aisle. Tapestry of 1882 at west end of nave. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 431-2; drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA0202508607

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 431-2

National Grid Reference: TA 02028 08612


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281035 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 05:46:57.

End of official listing