COTHAM CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1282286
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
COTHAM CHURCH, COTHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COTHAM CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Jul-2019 at 20:57:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
COTHAM CHURCH, COTHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58219 73854

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873NW COTHAM ROAD, Cotham 901-1/4/1195 (South side) 01/11/66 Cotham Church (Formerly Listed as: COTHAM ROAD (South side) Highbury Chapel)

GV II*

Congregational chapel, now an Anglican church. 1842-3. By W Butterfield. Apse, tower, S transept and school 1863 by EW Godwin, the apse was moved out one bay in c1890. Pennant rubble with limestone ashlar dressings and a tiled roof. Aisled nave, N porch, S transept, apse and tower. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. The church is linked to the school by a 5-bay passage of 2-light trefoil-headed windows, the second from the E forming a tall entrance with a iron gate; single-storey school rooms have 2- and 3-light square-headed windows. Apsidal E end with 2-light windows. NE vestry gable has a marble wall memorial within an ogee panel to the 5 Bristol martyrs. 4-bay N aisle of wide 4-centred arched windows, with 4 lights and panel tracery, separated by buttresses with a deep roll moulding to the plinth; W porch has an arched doorway with hollow moulding, diagonal buttresses and coped parapet; the clerestory has triple quatrefoils, unaligned with the aisle windows. The S transept has a gable to the transept gallery stairs and a parapeted wall to the school rooms, with 1-, 2- and 3-light trefoil-headed windows with flat lintels; the stair block has diagonal buttresses, with chamfered corners above them, 2-light Perpendicular windows to the S and W, and a W door reached by a flight of steps. The 3-stage tower in the angle between the transept and the aisle has an octagonal ashlar SW turret which rises above the tower to a crenellated top; the tower incorporated Butterfield's reset aisle window into the ground stage to the W; above it is a 3-light flat-headed window, an arrow slit to the second stage and paired single lights with Perpendicular panel tracery and ashlar bands to the belfry; a drip course with gargoyles and a crenellated parapet to the top. The W end has a 4-light window above a central door, a 2-light window to the N aisle and a stair tower for the W gallery with a parapet to the S. INTERIOR: a panelled timber reredos in the 1-bay apse, with stilted arches on hexagonal corbel responds to the sides, and an arch-braced vault. Nave arcade of hexagonal piers to 4-centred arches and responds, splayed clerestory windows with shoulders and an arch-braced collar-beam roof. 2-bay S transept and door leading to the tower, with a ramped stone stair with smooth soffit and foliate wrought-iron balustrade; 1863 galleries to the W end and transept with pierced quatrefoils and billet mould, and similar wainscotting. Memorials: wall monument to Arnold Thomas by Eric Gill, 1924, shepherd and sheep carved into the NE nave respond. HISTORICAL NOTE: originally built as Highbury Congregational Chapel and purchased by the Church of England in c1975. Butterfield's first commission, obtained through his family connection with WD Wills the tobacco industrialist. An exceptionally early and unusual example of the application of the Gothic Revival style to nonconformist chapel architecture, including the early work of two major C19 architects. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 312).

Listing NGR: ST5821973854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379456
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 312

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/13253/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].