CHRIST CHURCH WITH ST EWEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1282367

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH WITH ST EWEN, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH WITH ST EWEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:28:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH WITH ST EWEN, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58897 73076

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre 901-1/11/535 (North East side) 08/01/59 Christ Church with St Ewen

GV II*

Church. 1786-1791. By William Paty. Built by Thomas Paty and Sons. Entrance and refurbished interior by Henry Williams in 1883, restored 1973. Bath stone ashlar; roof not visible. W tower and nave. Baroque style. The E and N elevations are hidden; the S aisle has four 3-light round-arched windows with plain surrounds, from 1883. W tower is of 4 stages: a neo-Florentine portal with a round-headed doorway, an arch of oak leaf bundles inside pilasters, with a moulded archivolt with egg-and-dart moulding and rocaille decoration above; either side are reeded pilasters with Composite capitals, and clasping pilasters to the corners; entablature with a dentil architrave, decorated fret frieze and acanthus cornice below a segmental pediment containing the head of Christ; first-stage balcony beneath a pair of Roman Quarter Jacks striking bells, and a large clockface, below a cornice and segmental pediment on scrolled acanthus brackets; above this the tower is free-standing, and all 4 faces identical: stepped plinth to the third stage, beneath paired Ionic pilasters at the corners and beneath a projecting pediment; a central, recessed round-headed blind arch with rusticated blocks and an impost band; belfry with plinth and pairs of Corinthian pilasters to a modillion cornice, and a central, louvred, round arch; blocking course with large urns at the corners. 3-stage octagonal spire on a short plinth, divided by arcaded strips, each with a course of oculi on each face. INTERIOR: Classical triglyph reredos by F Bell, 1882; the original reredos, an elliptical pediment on Corinthian pilasters with gilded plaster decoration, is now the rood screen, with swan's-neck gates. 4-bay nave has elliptical arches with guilloche soffits on slender Corinthian columns; aisles the same height, the vaults carried on to scrolled acanthus corbels; Adam-style ceiling decoration. FITTINGS: restored 1791 octagonal timber pulpit with painted plaster cherub heads, back and and inlaid tester; communion table and wrought-iron rail 1792; the original font is now the lectern base. At the rear is the 1708 organ loft by Renatus Harris, above a balcony on 2 Corinthian columns with a frieze of cherubs, carved panelled front surmounted by angels with instruments. In the NW corner is a segmental arch to a bay containing a small octagonal font with dentils under the basin; a large bound oak chest with 3 locks. Memorials include wall plaques to Christopher Raymond d.1754, a draped stele on a slate background; Martha Leavis d.1750, a sarcophagus panel beneath a sarcophagus; Thomas Holmes d.1761, a sarcophagus below an obelisk with a seated figure holding an urn, signed Thomas Paty; William Baylis d.1788, an oval plaque on a black marble backing with a draped urn above; Frances Ireland d.1795, a black stele bearing an open marble book, signed by Wood; Hannah Hosier d.1830, a stele with inverted fire brands either side, and an urn above; Robert Watson d.1842, a rectangular plaque with an open quatrefoil above containing fleur-de-lys. The design is based on the church at Badminton, Gloucestershire and more loosely on St Martin-in-the-Fields. The Quarter Jacks came from the earlier church, 1728, by James Paty, and many of the memorials from St Ewen's (demolished). (Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-: 132).

Listing NGR: ST5889773076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379018

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dening, C F W , The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol, (1923), 132

End of official listing