BRUNSWICK CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1282371
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Statutory Address:
BRUNSWICK CHAPEL, BRUNSWICK SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRUNSWICK CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 02:04:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRUNSWICK CHAPEL, BRUNSWICK SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59240 73679

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973NW BRUNSWICK SQUARE, St Paul 901-1/6/1882 (North side) 08/01/59 Brunswick Chapel

GV II

Congregational chapel, now offices. 1834. By William Armstrong. Limestone ashlar, render and Pennant plinth and a slate mansard roof. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys; 3-bays. Principal front has a portico with 2 pairs of giant Ionic columns fronting a wall of banded rustication, corner pilasters and a deep entablature, and a tall parapet with balustraded sections. Central doorway has a moulded architrave and bracketed cornice; flanking ground-floor doors, now glazed, have eared architraves, below semicircular-arched first-floor windows in matching recesses, both with 12/12-pane sashes with fixed lower sections. The sides have 5 bays articulated by paired pilasters to projecting ends, a first-floor plat band, frieze and cornice, with windows as the front. INTERIOR completely modernised late C20 with the loss of most period details. Formerly with a gallery to 3 sides with a central pulpit to the back wall. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 242; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 64).

Listing NGR: ST5924073679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379031
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 64
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 242

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11574/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].