CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1285956
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285956.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:15:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Sproughton
National Grid Reference:
TM 12515 45029

Details

TM 1245 SPROUGHTON CHURCH LANE 5/35 Church of All Saints 22.2.55 GV II* Parish Church. Early C14, later medieval, restored 1863-68 by Frederick Barnes of Ipswich and 1870 and 1884. Flint with stone dressings, glacial boulders in plinth and footings, tile roof. West tower, aisled nave, south porch, partly aisled chancel, north vestry. Square unbuttressed tower in 3 stages with embattled parapet. Restored 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. Single lights to north, south and west ringing chamber, with clock on north and south faces. Y-traceried bell openings, partly restored. 3 bay nave. South aisle has one 2-light Decorated window, much restored, one 3-light Perpendicular window, probably C19 or much restored. Similar Perpendicular style window to 1870 chancel aisle. 2-light windows with Geometric tracery to west and east walls of aisle, that to west c1300 much restored, that to east c1870. 3 2-light clerestorey windows of cusped Y-tracery. South doorway, early C14, 2 orders of filleted shafts with flat bases and moulded capitals, the arch in 3 orders of rolls, with fillets or keel. C19 door. South porch mainly C19 with diagonal buttresses, 3 centre arched entrance, 2 orders of shafts to each side, on early C14 bases. Doorway to chancel aisle, continuous moulding beneath hoodmould. North aisle. 2 2-light Y-tracery windows, early C14, restored. 2 3-light perpendicular windows that to east 1870, that to west restored. Blocked north doorway with continuous chamfered moulding. West aisle window, 2 lights of cusped Y-tracery, c1300 altered C19. Chancel C19 5-light Perpendicular style east window; above a small blocked lancet 3 light Perpendicular style south window. Diagonal buttresses. Interior: 3 bay north and south arcades, early C14, the western responds rebuilt C19. Quatrefoil piers, bases and moulded capitals, the 4 principal shafts filleted, the intermediate shafts with narrow fillet or keel. The arches of multiple moulded orders. Tower arch rebuilt C19. Chancel arch largely rebuilt C19. 4 centred rear arch to south doorway, north doorway blocked. Rear arches of decorated aisle windows have moulded hoods. South aisle piscina with cusped head beneath crocketted canopy. North aisle piscina beneath hoodmould, with octofoil drain. Nave roof. 6 bay arch braced hammer beam roof, restored 1867-8, each alternate bay with angels, moulded cornice, collars and purlins. C19 aisle roof. Chancel, enriched 1884. Squint to vestry, formerly a chapel. Doorway with continuous hollow chamfered moulding beneath similar hood, the stops in the form of cherubs. Double piscina with traceried head divided by a central Y-shaft, octofoil drain to left, and beneath canopy with worn figure stops. Stepped sedilia. C19 canted roof retaining medieval moulded cornice. Benches in chancel incorporate C15 poppyhead benchends. Octagonal font, C15, the panels mostly recut, with symbols of the Passion. Octagonal stem, each face a paired lancet with cusped head. Octagonal base. Monuments: to Mrs Bull, died 1634. Marble. A kneeling figure facing east supported by angels to each side holding drapes of canopy, contained within aedicule. The cornice carries an achievement between console brackets; to either side an obelisk finial, the apex a further achievement. The angels are supported on pendant bosses, beneath wnich an inscribe apron with putto's head beneath To Edmund Beeston, died 1713, Mary his wife, d. 1724 and children. Stone rectangular lugged aeaicule with urn finials to each side of achievement. To Revd Joseph Waite, Rector of the Parish in 1655. Rectangular marble monument with moulded cornice above eared architrave, to side of which a husked vertical moulding. Marble slab with inscription: Behold I come Rev 16.15, below encircled Chi Ro symbol, beneath it, skull bearing winged hourglass, over I Waite Job 14.14.

Listing NGR: TM1251545029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277363
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10711/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Appleby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].