CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287864
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287864.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:40:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Suffolk Coastal (District Authority)
Parish:
Friston
National Grid Reference:
TM 41350 60488

Details

In the entry for:-

TM 46 SW FRISTON CHURCH ROAD

4/8 Church of St Mary

GV 7.12.66 II*

the description shall be amended to read:-



Parish Church. Remains of C11 structure in north wall; some C12 work; Main body of the church C14 and C15; post-Reformation additions of several dates, detailed below; restorations and redecorations of the late C19 and early C20 concentrated at the west and east ends respectively. Flint with cement rendering; brick porch and buttresses; roof of tile with lower verge of slate. Chancel of three irregularly spaced bays; nave of seven bays; west tower of three stages with broad, setback angle buttresses; west organ loft of wood. The chancel is not set off from the nave by an arch, being demarcated by a single step to choir area; this level change as well as the painted decorations in the chancel date to 1913 and are, according to a brass fixed to the single lancet in the south side of the chancel, a memorial to Emily Sophia Hills; the timber framing to the roof appear to date from this refurbishment. Chancel with three-light window, curvilinear tracery is late C19 work and is filled with memorial glass dated 1895. Arched timber principals to nave, the area above the collar plastered, like the underside of the roof wall plate moulded. The mouldings on the roof suggest a late C15 date; there is also some suggestion that the timbers may have been reused from another structure, perhaps in the late medieval period. Pair of two-light C15-styled windows to north wall of nave; lancet with Y tracery on line between chancel and nave to south; two-light Perpendicular window to side of entrance porch and a two-light Decorated window to the other side. Entrance to south of the nave dates to the C12. Segmental pointed arch to tower. Interior fixtures and fittings include: benches to nave of mid to late C19; choir stalls of same date partly removed; octagonal font at west end, centre of aisle; sacrarium enclosed by a wood and metal rail and elevated; painted wood reredos dating to early C20. Fine wood coat of arms of James I to the north nave wall; early C17 pulpit mounted on a C19 or C20 base, may perhaps be a married piece; holy table by main door; in 1988 new window installed by Mrs. Vernon Wentworth of the Blackheath Mansion Friston.

Excavations in 1983 and 1988 have revealed two new features of note: in the north nave wall a round-arched door evidently of C11 date; to the east of the south door a staircase dating probably to the C14. No evidence for the latter visible from outside or from within; the former left exposed but blocked. Exterior features of note: south porch of brick with wood verge boards and pointed diaphragm arch of C18. West tower rebuilt in facsimile in 1900-1, its three- light west window with reticulated tracery; grouping of trefoiled arches and bell louvre to top stage, an unusual feature; two-light bell louvres to each of remaining top stages of tower. The nave is noteworthy for having been very little restored in the nineteenth century.

------------------------------------ TM 46 SW FRISTON CHURCH ROAD

4/8 Church of St Mary 7.12.66

GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15, much restored C19 and early C20. C18 south porch. Flint, with cement render to nave and chancel and brick buttresses; plain tile roof. South porch of brick, pantiled roof. Early C14 west tower, entirely rebuilt 1900-1 as exact replica of old; 3 stages, diagonal stepped buttresses extending above parapet. West face has 3 trefoil and cinquefoil headed niches in upper stage; a further trefoil headed niche to upper face of each buttress. Nave south doorway is C12; south side of nave and chancel with windows of C13 and late C14/early C15. Nave has medieval arch-braced roof; chancel restored C19 with painted walls and ceiling. Fine wooden coat of arms of James I on north nave wall, restored. Early C17 pulpit; C17 holy table by main door. Graded for surviving medieval work.

Listing NGR: TM4135060488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06847/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dunmore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].