CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1288150
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288150.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:37:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hartlebury
National Grid Reference:
SO 84074 70891

Details

HARTLEBURY CP HARTLEBURY SO 87 SW 1/65 Church of St James 14.3.69 GV II*

Parish church. Fragments of c1300, tower 1587 for Bishop Sandys, rest by Thomas Rickman 1825 and 1836-7 with restoration of 1877. Sandstone ashlar, tile roof. West tower 1587 with early C19 west porch; nave with north and south aisles 1836-7; chancel 1825, north and south chapels (early C19 and 1877 respectively). West tower: three stages with crenellated parapet, string courses and diagonal buttresses; belfry (top) stage has windows of two pointed lights under a 3-centred head; on west face of tower above porch a pedimented tablet bears the arms of Bishop Sandys and the date 1587; west porch: by Rickman, two storeys with angled buttresses; large 3-light Perpendicular style window over entrance with 2-centred head. Nave and aisles: of 1836-7 by Rickman, crenellated parapet, five bays divided by stepped buttresses, the fifth bay to the west wrapping around the tower; windows of three trefoil headed lights. North chapel of 1825: four bays with single cinquefoil headed light windows under square heads with square labels, the east bay occupied by a door below a blind window. South chapel: of 1877; two bays with windows of two trefoil headed lights, east window of three ligts. Chancel: east window of four lights under 2-centred head. Interior: nave: four-bay arcade, slender sandstone piers supporting 2-centred moulded arches, plastered ribbed vaults to nave and aisles with bosses. Galleries in both aisles on cast iron columns with cinquefoil headed panels to front of gallery; 2-centred moulded arch to chancel with label, and similar, but lower arches from aisles into chapels, two-bay arcade each side of chancel, that to north with quatrefoil columns supporting 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders of c1300 but much restored, the south arcade is a copy of this of about 1877. Ceiling: ribbed barrel vault. Fittings: almost entirely late C19, font: circular with nail head ornament, the lower part C12, the upper late C19. (VCH 3, p 386; BoE pp 189 - 190; H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London 1978, p 691).

Listing NGR: SO8407470891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400574
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 691
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 386
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 386

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01343/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Gillian Price. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].