Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1288822
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Yattendon Lane, Yattendon, Thatcham

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288822.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:03:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Yattendon Lane, Yattendon, Thatcham

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yattendon
National Grid Reference:
SU 55418 74545

Details

SU 5574 11/22

YATTENDON YATTENDON LANE (north side) Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

14.4.67

GV I

Church. Circa 1450 restored 1858, 1881 and spire by Alfred Waterhouse added in 1896. Rendered flint, tile and rubble with Bath stone dressings; old tile roof continuous over nave and chancel. West tower and spire, nave, chancel, south porch and north vestry.

West tower: two stages with diagonal west buttresses, cornice with gargoyles and carved heads, parapet; shingled broach spire with lead finial and weathervane. Moulded arched west doorway with boarded door and hoodmould with spiral stops, C19 west window above with two cusped lights and hoodmould with carved stops, and small square window above that with quatrefoil light. Bellchamber openings to north, south, and west of two cusped lights, and single light opening to east. Clock with small gable below bellchamber opening to south.

Nave, south side: two large three-light windows with hoodmoulds and spiral stops. South door between with moulded four-centred arch, square head with carved spandrels, hoodmould with carved heads as stops, and old boarded door. C19 gabled south porch of timber with brick base and tiled roof. North side: two large three-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops flanking wall tablet to John Hutchins of 1770.

Chancel, south side: two large three-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops flanking blocked four-centered arched doorway between. North side: one three-light window with hoodmould and spiral stops. East end: diagonal buttresses and C19 five-light window with panelled tracery and returned hoodmould.

Vestry: C19. Gabled with diagonal buttresses. Two-light windows to north with hoodmould, and arched doorway to west.

Interior: C19 chamfered tower arch. C15 roof of eight bays over nave and chancel with moulded wall plate, two trusses of two collars with arch braces to first, double purlins and two tiers of windbraces. Wall shafts, rood beam and C19 screen with some C15 work at junction of nave and chancel three bays from east. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit with arabesques and two late Medieval bench ends with linenfolds. Other fittings C19 including choir stalls by Paul Waterhouse and octagonal stone pulpit with quatrefoil panels.

Monuments: wall tablets to John Harris, 1743; Andrew Baptista Gallini, 1805; and Alfred Waterhouse, 1905.

Listing NGR: SU5542374545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
398601
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 129
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 314
Smith-Masters, J E , Yattendon and its Church, (1929), 29-60
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html
Other
Map of manor, 1773 by Robert Weston.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08399/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Leia Spencer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].