This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1290840



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 310181

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NEWCHURCH SZ58NE HIGH STREET (East side) 1352-0/1/144 Church of All Saints 18/01/67 I

Parish church. North wall of nave C12, rest of nave C13 with aisles rebuilt in C14 and C15, chancel in C16, south transept enlarged in C18 and upper part of tower added in late C18. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with tiled roof. Lower part of tower rendered, the top part weatherboarded with broached shingled spire surmounted by weathervane. Cruciform shape. Nave, aisles, transepts, south-west porch with tower above and chancel. South-west tower and porch has a rendered lower stage with diagonal buttresses and pointed arched doorway. The upper stage is weatherboarded with crenellated parapet and louvred quatrefoil bell openings. Broached shingled spire. Porch has list of charitable bequests. Nave of 4 bays with octagonal piers and double chamfered pointed arches, probably early C14. Roof has chamfered tie beam with lamb's tongue stop, probably c1685 as it is identical to the dated chancel roof. Roof in 7 cants, originally plastered. West wall has early C14 Y tracery window and octagonal window above. Pointed arched door with medieval oak studded plank door. North aisle has one round-headed window in splayed bay, blocked-in cambered doorcase and double lancet in splayed bay. South aisle has 2 windows wtih tall trefoliated lancets in splayed bay. Door to porch has a pointed arch within a cambered arch and medieval plank door with studs. Arms of King William III dated 1700. C18 and C19 marble wall plaques and early C18 parish chest. Crossing has early C13 North, South and East arches with 3 slight chamfers. A lancet window above the east arch between nave and chancel is the remains of a C13 crossing tower. Early C18 wooden pulpit on stone panelled base. Perpendicular gilded wooden lectern in form of rulning pelican from Frome in Somerset. South transept has triple cinquefoil-headed lancet in east wall and taller triple cinquefoil-headed lancet to north wall. North wall has a marble wall plaque to Maurice Bocland of Knighton Gorges d 1765, a pedimented plaque with crest and willow and bay branches below, and a marble wall plaque to Alexander Bisset d 1781. The South Transept was enlarged in the C18. North Transept has a double round-headed window on the east side and Y tracery early C14 window to east. Late C17 roof with chamfered tie beam and 7 cants. North wall has marble plaque to Jane Billington of Knighton Gorges d 1674, a rectangular marble plaque with shield above, and a plaque to Sir Robert Dillington of Knighton Gorges d 1689, a circular marble monument with shield and cupid's head. 8 C18 basalt slabs to members of the Dillington family. Chancel has north early C13 window with 3 lancets, east window Perpendicular with 3 cinquefoil-headed lancets and south window with 2 triple cinquefoil-headed lancets. Chamfered tie beam to roof, chamfered with lamb's tongue stop, dated 1685 with the name Richard Edgecombe (the incumbent of the time who lived at Parsonage Farmhouse see item 1/157). The other beam has the inscription "Lo G E 1777 (Lord George Edgecombe). Series of C18 and early C19 wall plaques. (Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of Wight:749).

Listing NGR: SZ5618485556

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 749

National Grid Reference: SZ 56185 85554


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290840 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 02:19:52.

End of official listing