CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCULCOATES LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291590.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 02:21:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCULCOATES LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 09230 30735
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA03SE SCULCOATES LANE 680-1/4/339 (South side) Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1916-c1920, incorporating columns from a church of c1760. By Temple Moore. Brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with an external gable stack. Plinth, string course, coped west gables to nave and north chapel. Windows are mainly flat-headed with stone mullions. Nave and chancel with clerestories, south-east chapel, south aisle, north aisle and west porch, north chapel, vestry, meeting room. Chancel east end has a 3-light segment-headed window with tracery. To south, a small flat-headed window to east and above, 6 flat-headed 2-light mullioned clerestorey windows. North side has to east 2 tall flat-headed 2-light mullioned windows and above, 2 smaller clerestorey windows. Nave has on either side 4 unequally spaced 2-light mullioned windows. West end has a 4-light pointed-arched window with Decorated tracery and hoodmould. South-east chapel of St Patrick has 5 buttresses and 4 single-light windows. East end has a similar flat-headed 3-light window. South aisle has four 3-light mullioned windows. North aisle has to east a chapel with a 3-light mullioned window on each floor. At the west end a single lancet and to north a shallow gabled porch with a 4-panel double door with chamfered surround. North chapel of St Francis has to east a Decorated triple lancet. West end has a larger triple lancet with hoodmould, and a small gabled porch with plain pointed-arched door. North side has three 3-light mullioned windows. Hipped vestry has to west a door to right and a 2-light wood-framed window to left. Meeting room, to east, has to east three 2-light windows. INTERIOR: rendered, ashlar piers. Chancel has plain arch containing rood, and low pitched waggon roof with wooden wall shaft and struts. North side has 2 round arches and above, 2 similar arches. To east, a single window and above, 2 windows. East end has a tall panelled wooden reredos and painted panel. 3-light window above. South side has to east a pointed arch and a flat-headed window. To west, 2 round arches with lozenge-section central pier and traceried wooden screen, 1934. Above, 6 clerestorey windows. Nave has 3-bay arcades with broad arches, the south-west arch blocked, and square piers without capitals. Segmental waggon roof with queen post truss and struts. On either side, 4 clerestorey windows. West end has a 3-bay blind arcade and above, a 4-light lancet with sill band. South-east chapel has wood-panelled walls and reredos, suspended altar canopy, and lean-to roof. East end has a stained-glass window, and south side has a pointed piscina and 4 windows with patterned stained-glass. West end has a plain pointed arch with a round-arched squint in the left pier, and a traceried wooden screen, 1934. North side has figure niche in central pier. South aisle has a lean-to roof with central strutted king post. South side has a low 4-bay blind arcade with round arches, and four 3-light windows. West end has a pointed arch containing a doorway. North aisle has similar roof and west end. North side has a 3-bay arcade with round arches and square piers, the east one with a figure on a bracket. East end has a round arch with imposts and a round-arched squint to right. Chapel at east end has flat ceiling with strutted wall posts. East end has a 3-light window, and north side has, to east, an elliptical-arched door. North chapel has painted interior with 4-bay round-arched arcades with Doric columns. Queen post roof with wall shafts and struts. East end has painted wooden reredos and stained-glass window. West end has a traceried wooden screen and a central door with wooden internal porch. Above it, a triple lancet. North side has to west 2 low round arches, then a blank bay, then a door. Above, 3 windows. FITTINGS include a gadrooned oval granite font, mid C18, on square ashlar base, with fluted ogee-domed brass cover and finial, with inscription 1889. Panelled square wooden pulpit and steps, and 2 wooden lecterns, all C19. Wooden benches with shaped ends. South-east chapel has benches with shaped scrolled ends by Thompson. North chapel has C18 brass chandelier. MEMORIALS include a marble and slate obelisk tablet, 1761, with inscription in shorthand, and similar obelisk tablet, 1763. Marble tablet with angel, 1843, and larger marble tablet with half-size female figure, 1860. 4 marble and slate tablets, early and mid C19. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 283).
Listing NGR: TA0923030735
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 283
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing