JOHNSON BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292492
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Jun-1994
Statutory Address:
JOHNSON BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM, BREADMARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOHNSON BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Apr-2020 at 01:41:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
JOHNSON BIRTHPLACE MUSEUM, BREADMARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Lichfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 11730 09542

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109NE BREADMARKET STREET 1094-1/5/65 (South West side) 05/02/52 Johnson Birthplace Museum (Formerly Listed as: BREADMARKET STREET Dr Johnson's House)

GV I

House and book shop, became museum 1901, now with book shop (1990). c1707. For Michael Johnson. Timber-frame with brick infill and stucco facades; tile M-roof, hipped to right end, brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 3 storeys; 5-window range. 1st floor jettied on 2 Tuscan columns and one Doric column to centre, all on simple plinths, frieze and cornice over; giant angle pilasters to upper floors; top modillioned timber cornice. Paired entrances have fielded-panel pilaster strips, friezes and cornices over 6-fielded-panel doors; opposed steps with wooden handrails. Ground floor has 2 windows to left end with 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, ovolo-moulded to interior, one to right end with 24-pane sash, all with moulded frames; 1st and 2nd floor windows have narrow sills and 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars in moulded frames, but 2 to right end of 1st floor are later. Right return to Market Street has platt bands; entrance with small-paned overlight to 6-fielded-panel door with iron railings, with paired projecting windows to right with sill, entablature and 24-pane sashes; 9-pane sashes to upper windows, those to 2nd floor with thick glazing bars, and 2 hipped dormers with 9-pane sashes. Left return has exposed timber frame. Right end has wrought-iron sign bracket. Rear has 18-pane and 9-pane sashes; 2 gables. INTERIOR: dogleg staircase has column-on-vase balusters, square newels and moulded handrails; 1st floor has corner fireplace with Regency grate, similar fireplace to rear room; 2-panel door with H-L hinges; right end room has cornice, architraves and seats to windows and fireplace with overmantel; attic has stick balusters to staircase, exposed timber-framing and roof trusses. Dr Samuel Johnson, 1709-84, writer and lexicographer, son of Michael Johnson the bookseller, lived here until 1735. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.194; Wilkinson R: Look at Lichfield: Lichfield: 1976-).

Listing NGR: SK1173009542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382614
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 194
Wilkinson, R, Look at Lichfield, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04650/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Anthea Hatfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].