BLACK CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292881
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
BLACK CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE, JUNCTION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACK CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292881.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 22:36:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACK CASTLE PUBLIC HOUSE, JUNCTION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 61114 71753

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW JUNCTION ROAD, Brislington 901-1/56/466 (West side) 08/01/59 Black Castle Public House (Formerly Listed as: JUNCTION ROAD Arno's Castle)

GV I

Also known as: Arno's Castle JUNCTION ROAD Brislington. Sham castle and office, now public house. 1745-55. Probably designed either by William Halfpenny or James Bridges. For William Reeve, as pleasure rooms and offices. Pre-cast black copper-slag blocks from Reeve's foundry at Crew's Hole, Pennant rubble; brickwork and freestone dressings; pantile roof. Gothick style. Symmetrical plan with corner towers linked by 2-storey blocks to form a square courtyard, with 2 larger entrance towers front and back. The entrance front has a 2-storey entrance tower with a pointed archway through, originally with sexpartite vaulting, and C20 doors; above is a blank panel with ogee head, and a second-floor 2-centre arch with perpendicular tracery, and crenellated parapet with sunken panels. 2-window ranges to each side have similar openings with Y-tracery, a string course and carved inset panels, beneath a crenellated parapet. The 2-storey corner towers have wooden 2-centred arched doorways, and flushwork panels shaped like arrow slits; that on the left has C18 brickwork to the ground floor and a recent brick buttress. The left-hand elevation has a plain C20 extension. A coach house extends forward at right angles from the right-hand turret, with a central 2-centre archway front and back, similar smaller windows either side, and round, flush panels above the string. The crenellated parapet is raised above the archway. Inside the courtyard, the entrance tower is as the outside; facing it is a larger tower with diagonal buttresses and a moulded arched doorway inside a larger archway containing a scrolled cartouche. Above is a coat of arms and a head of Henry VIII. 2 pointed windows to the second floor with Y-tracery, cornice, decorated crenellations and corner pinnacles; and on either side are smaller turrets. Around the courtyard the walls either side of the towers have a single Y-tracery windows, and the side walls have similar in 4-window ranges with a central doorway. The latter are decorated with worn terms, and carved pediment panels above. A plat band runs all the way round, beneath a crenellated parapet. The rear round towers are similar to those at the front. INTERIOR: on 2nd floor of the main tower a former chapel, with a shallow barrel vault with decorated plaster panels, a corner fireplace and 3-light traceried side windows. Other internal decorations such as carved heads can be glimpsed above the inserted ceilings on the ground floor. HISTORICAL NOTE: built for William Reeve of Arno's Court (qv), using material probably from his own copper works at Crew's Hole. Much of the freestone carving and dressings are reputed to have come from the city's demolished medieval gateways, and St Werburgh's Church (qv), rebuilt by James Bridges in 1758-61. A very early example of the Gothick style. "...the extremely successful massing and variety from all viewpoints, make this the best of all the early fake castles in Britain" (Gomme). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 170; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 461; Latimer J: The Annals of Bristol in the Eighteenth Century: Bristol: 1887-1908: 68; Mowl T: Bristol, The Last Age of the Merchant Princes: Bristol: 1991-: 66).

Listing NGR: ST6111471753

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379848
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 170
Latimer, J , The Annals of Bristol in the Eighteenth Century, (1887-1908), 68
Mowl, T, Bristol: The Last Age of the Merchant Princes, (1991), 66
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 461

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03193/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].