Footbridge over Coundon Burn at NZ 2193 3075


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Auckland Park


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2021 at 03:43:15.


Statutory Address:
Auckland Park

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


Footbridge over Coundon Burn, C18.

Reasons for Designation

This bridge, of C18 date, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* a largely intact barrel-vaulted C18 footbridge, of characteristically simple design and construction.

Historic interest:

* for its close historic association with Auckland Castle Park created for the Prince Bishops of Durham as a hunting estate.

Group value:

* it retains its historic relationship with the listed Auckland Castle and the registered Auckland Castle Park, and benefits from a spatial group value with numerous other listed buildings.


Auckland Castle Park originated as a deer park for the Prince Bishops of Durham, probably in the C11 or C12, associated with their residence at Auckland Castle. The park had a herd of wild cattle until the C17 and there are records of successive restocking with deer. The park fell into decline during the Interregnum at which time the trees were cut down, but it was restocked, and the fishponds renewed by Bishop Cosin during the period 1660 to 1671. In 1750 Bishop Butler extended the park to take in areas of woodland and began renewing the pale and planting, operations which were interrupted by his death in 1752. He was succeeded by Bishop Trevor, who continued with the improvements, spending more than £8,000 on the Castle and park during the period 1752 to 1771. Ewan Christian undertook a refurbishment of Castle and park during the 1880s for Bishop Lightfoot.

The earliest record of a bridge at this location is Dixon's 1772 Plan of Auckland Castle Park. The first edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed 1857 shows it as part of a network of paths or rides criss-crossing the valley of the burn. The bridge is unnamed by that and all subsequent editions.


Footbridge over Coundon Burn, C18. MATERIALS: dressed stone; side walls and vault are of squared stones laid in horizontal courses.

DESCRIPTION: a narrow single-span bridge carries a footpath or parkland ride at an oblique angle over the Coundon Burn. The structure comprises a simple pointed barrel vault about 8m long by 1.5m wide, that rises from low side walls, all capped by earth and gravel. There are no spandrels or headwalls but the gap where the north-east spandrel should be is infilled with stone corbelling to ease the exit of the path due to the angle at which it crosses the burn. There are short training walls up and downstream of the culvert and the stream bed is paved through the arch barrel. It has splayed abutments at each side.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Roberts, M, Pevsner, N, Williams, E, The Buildings of England: County Durham, (2021), 140
The Road, Rail and Parkland Bridges of Bishop Auckland, Co Durham, 4/2021: an assessment of the historical and archaeological evidence, M Jecock 2021, accessed 22-03-2021 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06970/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].