THE ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1293993
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293993.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 12:21:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Burneston
National Grid Reference:
SE 30801 84960

Details

BURNESTON MAIN STREET SE 38 SW (west side) 6/10 The Almshouses (formerly listed as Nos 1 22.8.66 and 2 Burneston Almshouses)

GV II

Almshouses, now 2 cottages and a schoolroom. Dated 1680. Coursed rubblestone, red brick with ashlar dressings and a Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Rubblestone plinth with chamfered ashlar coping up ground- floor window height, ashlar quoins. To bay 2 and bay 5 are board doors in quoined surrounds with four-centred arched lintels. Above each is an ashlar tablet in moulded surround, that to left bears Latin inscription and date 1680, that to right bears coat of arms. Above both is an elliptical window in square stone surround. Other bays have 2-light rendered brick mullion windows with a variety of casements. To ground floor, outer and central windows have moulded brick segmental pediments, the other windows have triangular brick pediments. To right of bay 7 a stone sundial with inscription underneath. Each return has an external gable stack flanked by four circular windows in square stone surrounds, 2 to each floor. Shaped kneelers, stone copings. One large brick ridge stack. History: established by Matthew Robinson, Vicar of Burneston and owner of Allerthorpe Hall. VCH Vol I pp 357-361.

Listing NGR: SE3079984960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332641
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 357-361

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09871/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Paver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].