WILLIAM SALT LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1298149
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
WILLIAM SALT LIBRARY, EASTGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLIAM SALT LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298149.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2020 at 16:35:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILLIAM SALT LIBRARY, EASTGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Stafford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 92414 23243

Details

STAFFORD

SJ9223SW EASTGATE STREET 590-1/10/21 (North East side) 16/01/51 William Salt Library

GV II*

House, now library. 1730-5, with C18 former cottage to left (front wall rebuilt in late C20), and C19 alterations. Early Georgian style. MATERIALS: brick; internally central bay of main building flanked by timber-framed cross walls; tile roof, swept to eaves, with coped gables. PLAN: double-depth. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 6-window range. Plaster plinth; brick platt bands over both floors; late C19 coved cornice; central bay flanked by timber-framed cross walls. Round-headed entrance to right of centre has doorcase with fluted pilasters, entablature blocks and open pediment; fanlight with radial glazing bars over 6-panel door. Windows have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over 6/9-pane sashes; two c1860 gabled dormers with small-paned casements. Rear has gabled and bow window with three 12-pane sashes. Addition of 2 storeys has slate roof with brick end stack; round-headed entrance with large window to right have heavy plaster surrounds with triple keys; C20 plank door and casement; 1st floor has 2 windows with 12-pane horned sashes. INTERIOR: open well stair with cut string, column-on-vase balusters and moulded ramped handrail; room to right has C17 panelling with moulded rails and stiles, plaster panels over door and Art Nouveau fireplace; room to left has Adam style fireplace with swags over eared architrave; archway by stair has panelled pilasters and key; rear wing has room with chamfered beam and large fireplace with bressummer; 1st floor has fireplace with eared architrave and coved cornice to room to left; rear room has late C19 fireplace with timber overmantel; other fireplaces are C19; 6-fielded-panel doors, one 2-panel door to attic. HISTORY: the William Salt Library was established in 1872, based on the collection of books, manuscripts, etc, formed by the banker William Salt, d.1863, and moved to present building in 1918. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 246; Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A History of Stafford: London: 1979-: 258).

Listing NGR: SJ9241423243

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383963
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01825/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Ayre. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].