BELTON POST OFFICE AND ADJOINING SMITHY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1298453
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1979
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
BELTON POST OFFICE AND ADJOINING SMITHY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298453.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2021 at 23:29:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELTON POST OFFICE AND ADJOINING SMITHY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Belton and Manthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 92894 39563

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 MAIN STREET, Belton 1315-0/8/49 (North West side) 21/09/79 Belton Post Office and adjoining Smithy (Formerly Listed as: VILLAGE STREET, Belton (North West side) Smithy, Post Office and adjoining Cottage) GV II

Estate cottage, now a house, post office and smithy. Cottage C17, remodelled 1838; smithy 1838. Both by Anthony Salvin. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Cottage has 2 external gable stacks with coped square double flues. Smithy has a similar ridge stack. Jacobean Revival style. Cottage, to left, single storey plus attics; 2 window range. Ashlar plinth, quoins, coped gables with kneelers. 2 through-eaves dormers with on corbels, with shouldered shaped gables and ball finials, each with a 2-light window. Below, to left, a 3-light window with a heavy cornice. To right, a canted stone bay window with hipped roof and a 3-light window. All these windows are casements with stone surrounds and chamfered mullions. INTERIOR has a C17 chamfered span beam with stops, and a similar beam now boxed in. To right, a single storey link building containing the post office. Central half-glazed door with overlight, flanked to left by a single light window, both with stone surrounds. 2 gabled roof ventilators. To right, a segmental arch with half-glazed double doors to the shoeing floor. The single storey cross wing forming the smithy has shoulderd shaped gables with ball finials. At each end, a 5-light window with stone mullions and surround. Above the front window, a scroll, and above it, in the gable, a stone horseshoe enclosing a datestone. Brick lined interior has a transverse arch containing the flues to 2 forges, and king post roof. One of several estate buildings by Salvin for John, first Earl Brownlow, of Belton House. The smithy is complete and in use. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Antrum N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 135-136; Kerr M: Survey notes on National Trust properties in Belton: 1985-1989; Allibone J: Anthony Salvin: Cambridge: 1988-: 163).

Listing NGR: SK9289439563

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382922
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Allibone, J, Anthony Salvin Pioneer of Gothic Revival Architecture 1799-1881, (1987), 163
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 135-136
Other
Kerr, M, Survey notes on National Trust properties in Belton, (1985-1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/14789/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].