GEORGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1298735
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
GEORGE HOTEL, 12 AND 14, BIRD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GEORGE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 01:54:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
GEORGE HOTEL, 12 AND 14, BIRD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Lichfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 11590 09479

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109SE BIRD STREET 1094-1/8/24 (North East side) 05/02/52 Nos.12 AND 14 George Hotel

GV II*

Hotel. Late C18 with later additions. Brick with stucco facade; graduated slate roof. Courtyard plan. Georgian style. 2-storey, symmetrical 5-bay, centre with 3-storey, 3-window, flanking ranges; ground floor has large canted angle to left end. Centre has rusticated ground floor and Ionic pilasters, frieze and cornice to 1st floor; flanking ranges have platt band over ground floor and top cornice. Central elliptical-headed carriage entrance with C19 or C20 infill with glazed doors, sidelights and cornice. Windows have sills and 12-pane sashes, those to ground floor of centre in recesses with rusticated wedge lintels, those above are large, with panels over; 2nd floor has windows with 6-pane sashes; ground floor windows to left of entrance have C20 casements. 3-storey, 2-window, range to right has stucco ground floor and modillioned brick cornice; windows to ground and 1st floor have 12-pane sashes, those to 1st and 2nd floor have rubbed brick flat arches, those to 2nd floor have 6-pane sashes. Rear wings, one with hipped slate roof, one extended in late C19. INTERIOR: large ballroom to 1st floor, entablature with scrolled foliage to panelled frieze, segmental vault has guilloche bands and ceiling roses, distyle-in-antis colonnade to rear recess with columns copied from the Tower of the Winds; entrance has doorcase with panelled pilasters and entablature with enriched frieze, paired 3-panel doors; simple marble fireplaces with C19 overmirrors. Open well staircase wtih stick balusters and 2 columns to landing. A good example of a coaching inn serving the London to Chester road, one of the 2 most important in Lichfield; described by Pevsner as: 'one of the best late C18 hotel buildings in the land', the incorporation of the ballroom being a rare feature. George Farquhar, 1677-1707, stayed at the predecessor of the present building in 1705, later immortalising it in 'The Beaux Stratagem'.

Listing NGR: SK1159009479

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382570
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01367/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey Carver. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].