This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1299200



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blaisdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354086

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/18 Flaxley Abbey



House; principal periods late C12, C14 (remains of Abbey), late C18, C19: 1777 - 1783 work by A. Keck for Sir Thomas Crawley- Boevey. Rendered main facades, with rough dark render lined in white to represent wide-jointed ashlar for walling, pale render to represent fine-jointed ashlar for dressings: elsewhere exposed brick; tiled roofs. Large 'L' plan, entrance block to south, 5X3, projecting from longer wing behind; at right angles on left long wing. 2 storey, with attics to long wing. Entrance front by Keck, ashlar plinth, plain string course to first floor, moulded to eaves, with crenellations above: corners square piers carried up above roof, capped with pyramid. In centre shaped gable, containing large sundial in Gothic surround, urn finial above; hipped roof. Sash windows with hoodmoulds; central ashlar porch, with crocketed ogee-headed arches in each face, square corner piers, crenellations above. Finials on corners date from 1960's. Panelled front door with fanlight over. Returns 3-windowed, match front. On right a lower 2-storey wing, set back, 3 sash windows wide, crenellated, with bowed end facing east. To left, south wall of Abbot's Guest Hall, 2 storey, crenellated, no string course at first floor. 2 dummy windows on ground floor, painted, above 4 slits and a 3-light mullion and transom window in stone inserted after 1913. West face on left, recessed centre between gables. Ground floor 5 round-headed windows in centre, between ashlar buttresses, 2 in each cable (blind to right-hand one); all with hoodmoulds, mullion, transoms, and iron casements. First floor 4 windows to centre, flat headed, cyma-moulded timber tracery forming variation on Venetian window, with original double iron casements. Above crenellations, 4 hipped dormers; rainwater heads dated 1751. Chimneys have plain bases; one on right a plain stalk, centre and left diamond-set brick stalks. Right-hand gable has 3- light window with reticulated tracery inserted in 1913, above a bishop's mitre and a gable cross. The left gable has a flat- headed 3-light window with trefoil heads in timber, with iron casements. Above is a roundel with a quatrefoil moulded in coloured render: an iron weather vane sits on the apex. The single-storey wing in the rear courtyard dates from the 1960's. Interior: the entrance hall has 3 original blind arches on each side on pilasters, and a moulded plaster cornice, framing similar arch of the stair hall beyond. Original doors and doorcases give onto rooms on each side, that on the right having an original Adam- style fireplace. The staircase has 3 turned balusters per tread, and fluted newels. The ground-floor room in the recessed part of the west facade is a late C12 5-bay undercroft, with quadripartite stone vaulting, the ribs rising from shield- shaped bosses: walls plastered. In second bay on right early C18 8-panel door leads into courtyard: externally it has stone bolection-moulded surround with pulvinated frieze. In fifth bay on right is a blocked round- headed window. In fourth a pointed-arched doorway has keel-moulded nook shafts on the outside. This leads to C17 stairs, in a projecting brick wing. The stairs have a pulvinated string, heavy turned balusters, square, panelled newels with ball finials and heavy moulded handrail. The Abbott's Guest Hall (C14) is at the south end of the wing, on the first floor: 3-and-a-half-bay, archbraced collar roof, the braces rising from crenellated timber corbels set below wallplate; half trusses in between. 2 pairs of purlins with cusped windbraces to each; crenellated timber cornice with hollow moulding below. Cistercian monastery founded mid C12 by Earl of Hereford. In addition only part of south wall of nave survives in Orangery (q.v.) Fire in 1777 destroyed north end of west range, partially rebuilt to different plan, and entrance wing added to south thereafter. Was the home of Mrs. C. Boevey, original of the 'Perverse Widow' in Addison's Sir Roger de Coverley. (J. Lees- Milne, Country Life, CLlll, ps. 842-984 passim; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, 1970. 185-7).

Listing NGR: SO6901015406

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Addison, , Sir Roger de Coverley
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970), 185-7
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 153, (), 842-984
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: SO 69011 15405


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299200 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 09:17:14.

End of official listing