NETHERAVON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1299956
Date first listed:
03-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
NETHERAVON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHERAVON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299956.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 02:04:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
NETHERAVON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Netheravon
National Grid Reference:
SU 14739 48285

Details

NETHERAVON SU 14 NW - 9/101 Netheravon House II* Large villa and hunting box, now officer's mess for Support Weapons Training Wing. After 1734, for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort, on the site of a Roman villa. Extended 1791 by John Soane for M. Hector Beach. Brick with tiled roofs. Three storeys and cellar, 5 x 3 bays, double pile plan with entrance hall and stair flanked by main reception rooms on south front. Central door with Ionic portico, glazed at sides. Twelve-pane sashes with gauged brick heads and raised stone keys. Stone plat band between ground and first floors. Stone cornice and brick parapet. Six-panelled door in eared architrave. Sun fire mark No 655933. 1791 extension at rear, 3 bays, 3 storeys with single storey side rooms, extended upwards early C20. Some windows false. Sinuous Tuscan colonnade with rooms at back leads from house to stables (q.v.). Interior: Large entrance hall has very fine dogleg stair with 3 turned balusters to each tread. Flanking rooms fully panelled with chair-rail and good plaster cornices, the muntins raised above the panels. Fireplaces replaced c1930's. North east room has cornice only, and inlaid marble fireplace. First floor rooms on south front also panelled with cornices. Soane's addition contains secondary stair, plain, and one room to each floor, now mess room on ground floor. Servants' quarters in attics boarded. The house was built for coursing and hawking, and the grounds were laid out by Thomas Wright and published in Universal Architecture in 1755 and 1758.

Listing NGR: SU1473948285

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311052
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Universal Architecture, (1758)
Universal Architecture, (1755)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].