Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300591.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 04:29:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 01996 75341


HILMARTON CHURCH ROAD SU 07 NW (north side) 6/232 Church of St Laurence 20.12.60 GV I Anglican parish church, late C12, C15, with west tower of 1840 by John Shaw Jr, restored 1879-81 by G.E. Street. Ashlar and rubble stone with stone slate roofs and coped gables. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel and organ chamber. 1840 west tower is ashlar, 3-stage, with plinth, angle buttresses, dripcourses, cornice with carved bosses and gargoyles, embattled parapet and angle pinnacles. Paired 2-light Perpendicular style pointed bell-openings with hoodmoulds. Second stage has clock faces in crocketed lozenges. West front Tudor door under 3-light west window. South side stair tower. Above west window is inscription band with three shields 'To the glory of God this tower was restored by a layman', continued on south side 'Anno Domini MDCCCXL JS'. Four-window south aisle, rubble with ashlar plinth and plain parapet, 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, buttresses between and at angles. In second bay C19 ashlar embattled porch with crocketed ogee-headed moulded doorway, quatrefoil-panelled seats and c1881 south door, four-centred with fleurons and shafting to moulded door case. Lean-to north aisle has plain parapet, squared rubble stone walls and buttresses between bays. Flat-headed Perpendicular style windows, 2-light to west and to north, a blank bay, a 2-light and small pointed door, a 2-light and a 3-light. An added north east chapel has east end single light. Ashlar chancel has reused 3-light Perpendicular style windows to east, and one each to north and south. South side has 1881 large projecting organ-chamber, ashlar with embattled parapet and flat-headed 3-light south window. Interior: nave has C15 six-bay wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, 4-bay late C12 north arcade with round piers and trumpet scallop caps, the west respond with dragon-head below. South windows have 1881 rear arches. Tower arch, two-chamfer with 1896 wood screen by C.E. Ponting. Under tower small pointed medieval tower door, suggesting that 1840 exterior is a recasing. North aisle has 1881 lean-to roof. On north wall ogee-headed cinquefoil cusped tomb recess. Two-hollow moulded chancel arch with fine painted stone C15 screen with ogee cinquefoil-cusped heads to centre arch and four lights each side. Painted timber cresting. Chancel has ornate 3-bay 1881 roof and fine east wall painted decoration with stencil patterns and angels framing east window. Seven-bay stone reredos with embossed tile panels each side. 1881 floor tiles. South side full-height opening to organ chamber with beam across. Fittings and monuments: chancel has stained glass east and north windows of 1881 by Clayton and Bell and one patterned glass window of c1850-60. 1881 stalls. Nave has C19 timber pulpit on stone base, 1881 brass and copper lectern, mid C19 pews, four hatchments of Poynder family, one south window with c1850-60 patterned glass and various late C19 Poynder wall tablets. Under tower three later C17 plaques. In north aisle, St George and General Gordon window of 1920 signed W. Morris, another window of 1880, and one of c1858 to Rev Fisher, by Hardman. Fine east end wall monument with segmental pediment and skulls to William Quintin died 1651. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire 1975 270-1; Wiltshire Record Office D1/61/30/7 has 1878 plans by Street for organ chamber, new chancel roof, north aisle wall and roof, south door, porch restoration and stalls; Canon F. Goddard Reminiscences of a Wiltshire Vicar 1928)

Listing NGR: SU0200375341


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Goddard, F, Reminiscences of a Wiltshire Vicar, (1928)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 270-271


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/05985/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Lisa Hillier. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].