CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1300898
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MANOR FARM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300898.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:30:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MANOR FARM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Chesterton
National Grid Reference:
SP 56188 21366

Details

SP52SE CHESTERTON MANOR FARM LANE (North side) Great Chesterton

6/39 Church of St. Mary 07/12/66 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary Virgin)

GV II*

Church. Late C12, C13, C14 and C15; restored 1866 by F.C. Penrose. Limestone rubble, partly rendered, with ashlar dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, west tower and south porch. Chancel has two 2-light Decorated windows to south but has C13 lancet low-side windows, cusped to south, and a C13 priests' door with a renewed shouldered arch; east window is of 1852 and the parapet is probably C15. Narrow south aisle has a 2-light Decorated window with geometrical tracery and 3 square-headed C15 windows. South porch is probably C14 but the entrance arch has been rebuilt though retaining ancient doors; it shelters a simple C14 doorway. Rendered north aisle is restored, with C19 windows to east and west, but it retains a blocked chamfered doorway and 2 square-headed windows, one with Perpendicular tracery. C15 clerestory has square-headed windows of 2 trefoiled lights. 3-stage C14 tower has a 2-light west window with reticulated tracery, and has similar bell-chamber openings; the solid parapet has a frieze of quatrefoils. Interior: chancel has a C14 triple sedilia with free-standing shafts and ball-flower ornament plus traces of painted decoration; rectangular double-bowl piscina and aumbry, above, also have some painted patterning. Roof is dated 1857. Chancel arch has detached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Transitional north arcade of 3-bay nave has pointed arches on round piers with scalloped capitals; taller C13 south arcade has moulded capitals. Nave roof with moulded cambered beams and moulded purlins is probably C15/C16, but aisle roofs are C19. Fittings include a plain tub font with an elaborate C18 wrought-iron finial and arched crane, plus several pieces of C16 and C17 woodwork incorporated into furnishings and a fine C17 communion table with carved baluster legs. Memorials include a brass to William Maunde (died 1612) and his wife. Wrought-iron chandelliers have details similar to the font ironwork and may be contemporary. (V.C.H.; 0xfordshire, Vol. VI, p.102; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.617-8).

Listing NGR: SP5618821366

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243424
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 617-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 102

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10765/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].