TERRACE WALL AND TWO STAIRCASES ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301227

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: TERRACE WALL AND TWO STAIRCASES ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACE WALL AND TWO STAIRCASES ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301227 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:29:10.

Location

Statutory Address: TERRACE WALL AND TWO STAIRCASES ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shobdon

National Grid Reference: SO 40146 62779

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOBDON CP SHOBDON PARK SO 46 SW

5/58 Terrace wall and two staircases about 50 metres south-east of the Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II

Terrace wall and two staircases. Probably C18, restored 1860s. Ashlar. Nine semi-circular headed arches opening under terrace flanked at each end by a further pair. The outer pairs are in bays defined by full-height pilasters. At each end there are a further three windows with moulded architraves and semi-circular heads. Beyond these at each end is a flight of stairs, with two flights leading up from a half-landing. The top of the wall is partially balustradedi Shobdon Court, demolished in 1933, stood immediately to the north of this terrace (RCHM 3, p 180).

Listing NGR: SO4014662777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149461

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 180
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 20 Hereford and Worcester,

End of official listing