ASHFIELD LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301303

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: ASHFIELD LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ASHFIELD LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301303 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:29:09.

Location

Statutory Address: ASHFIELD LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Romsey Extra

National Grid Reference: SU 36216 19944

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROMSEY EXTRA BROADLANDS ESTATE SU 32 SE 7/1 Ashfield Lodge

II*

Lodge dwelling, of Tudor style. 1870, by W E Nesfield. Ground-floor brick walls of English bond (some lowest parts of Flemish bond), high plinth (double in parts): two tall chimneys with flues formed as octagons knitted into groups, with each face having a thin projecting rib, the multi-ribbed pattern being stopped by a horizontal moulding, above which the head of the shaft is widened: the smaller stack has a gabled head to its plain lower part, which contains at a high point a terra-cotta ornament, with W.C.T (William Temple) and 1870: the longer stack has the rib pattern descending into a wider gable, with two narrow windows, being stopped by a tiled weathering above a stepped brick cornice, the lower wall having a large terra-cotta cartouche. The upper floor is timber- framed, with close studding filled with rendered panels containing incised ornament or pargetting, the main corners having diagonal struts, with curved brackets supporting the bargeboards patterned with circular ornament (sun- flowers), and filled with scalloped tiling above plain-tile bell casts. L- shaped building of two storeys: the east side is dominated by the centrally- placed larger stack: the south front has an east side gable (timber-framed to ground-floor all level), enriched with curved panels at the top, on either side of an oriel, the ground-floor section containing a mullion and transom window and the open porch. The windows of various sizes are unified by the use of standard details of oak frames, and very small panes of glass leaded to form mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 5 lights, each of 6 x 8 panes, the large transomed window having 6 x 6 above 6 x 7 panes. Oak door within the recessed entrance. A small single-storeyed wing is masked by a high wall.

Listing NGR: SP2745420353

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 141179

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing