YE OLD FORGE AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301513
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
YE OLD FORGE AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDING

Map

Ordnance survey map of YE OLD FORGE AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301513 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:28:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
YE OLD FORGE AND ADJOINING OUTBUILDING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Willersley and Winforton
National Grid Reference:
SO 29798 47020

Details

WINFORTON CP WINFORTON SO 24 NE 5/125 Ye Old Forge and adjoining outbuilding - II House and adjoining outbuilding, probably a former smithy. Circa 1600, extended late C17 with further mid-C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Timber- framed with rendered infill on rubble base with some rubble walling and weatherboarding and machine-tiled roof. Four framed bays aligned east/ west; two easternmost bays are original, and have an external rubble chimney at the east end. The two westernmost bays are a later extension. Single storey and attic with dormers. Framing: three panels from sill to wall- plate throughout. The two easternmost bays are of heavy framing and the two westernmost bays of scantling timber. No trusses visible externally. North front elevation: there are three 2-light casements (one with a plank weathering) and a single-light casement on the ground floor. Three gabled dormers with 2-light casements. Main entrance in east bay has a C20 gabled canopy on metal brackets and a half-glazed C20 door. Outbuilding adjoins west end. Rubble and part weatherboarded timber-frame with corrugated asbestos roof. Large doorway at east end. (RCHM, III, p 213, item 7).

Listing NGR: SO2979847020

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150680
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 213

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11427/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian F. Squires. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].