CHURCH OF ST PETER
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1301531
Date first listed: 11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301531 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 01:16:47.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish: East Tytherley
National Grid Reference: SU 29234 29000
EAST TYTHERLEY EAST TYTHERLEY
SU 22 NE
3/34 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mid C13 chancel and nave, heavily restored 1862-3 when transepts vestry and porch built, N transeptal tower 1898. Rubble flint with stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of C13 chancel with C19 N vestry, C13 nave with C19 5 transept and N transeptal tower with N porch against W side. E end of chancel has 3 C13 lancets, centre one wider. S wall has 2 similar lancets and in centre and at E offset sloping buttress, prob C19. Low set at W blocked C13 priests door. To N at E similar lancet, below it steps down to C18 brick vault below C19 lean-to vestry with EE style door to E and paired trefoiled windows to N. Tall nave has C19 gable wall and tall offset sloping buttress at E. S wall has restored C13 lancets, one at E, 3 W of centre with similar buttresses between. To E of centre gabled S transept with stepped 3 lancet S window, EE door to E. In centre, partly hidden by buttress, blocked C13 door with keel roll hood. N wall has similarly arranged lancets and buttresses and to E of centre tower with N 3 lancet window, reset C13 lancet to E, small N lancet to middle stage. Tiled offset to top stage with paired louvred bell openings and overhanging bell-lip roof with weathervane. On W gabled porch with wide pointed doorway and to W 2 trefoiled lights. To W large C13 lancet, offset sloping buttresses on corners and gable wall with sanctus bellcote. Inside chancel wide splays to windows with chamfered round arches. S and NE lancets have C13 stained glass figures. NW lancet lights vestry, C19 door beside. E windows have C19 stained glass. C19 stone and marble reredos, and others fittings and roof. Chancel arch C13 2 chamfered order label on nave side with mask stops, responds half-octagonal with moulded capitals. Nave windows have wide splays with pointed chamfered arches. S transept arch copy of chancel arch, N tower arch copy of outer order not carried down but walled in. Original N doorway in larger round rear arch. At W end below window, reset from S chancel wall, monument in stone, 1568 to Richard Gifford and family, panel of kneeling figures of man and 3 bays to L and woman and daughters to R, all looking to R, male's heads turned, above inscription, each side tapering pilasters supporting cornice, and gable with achievement. Each side good C18 panelling which like altar rail is said to come from E Tytherley Manor which once stood beside. C19 fittings, including stone NE pulpit, SE organ, corona lucis and roof. At W C13 font of large octagonal bowl on round column on octagonal based VCH; Vol 4; 1911; p517-8.
Listing NGR: SU2931927832
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 140882
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 517-518
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing