CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301627

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:55:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lingen

National Grid Reference: SO 36570 67202

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 36 NE LINGEN CP -

9/73 Church of St Michael

11.6.59

GV II

Parish church. Possibly C16, re-built, apart from west tower, in 1890-1 by H Curzon. Sandstone rubble with limestone dressings. Timber-framed porch. Tiled and shingled roofs. West tower, four-bay nave, two-bay chancel and south porch. Tower is possibly C16 with late C19 roof and bell-stage. Rubble lower part has single central loop set high up on each side except the east. Clock faces on west and south sides above loops. Tablet on south wall to four men of parish who fell in The Great War. West window has a pair of chamfered late C19 lancets. C19 roof is hipped to bell chamber which has shingled sides, central louvred bell-opening to each side and shingled broach spire. North elevation of nave has three windows, a pair of trefoil-headed lights to the left and right and a single trefoiled-headed light to the left of centre. Weathered buttress to right of centre. Dressed quoins and two flush dressed stone bands, one at cill, the other at springing level of window heads. At the left side is a buttress incorporating a stack rising to a tiled gablet with an octagonal stone shaft. Cresting to roof. Chancel has a pair of 2-light trefoil- headed windows with trefoiled tracery to both north and south sides. East window has three lights. The outer two are trefoil-headed. The arch is two-centred with a plain label. Eastern verge with gable cross. Cresting to roof. South elevation of nave has a pair of trefoil-headed lights to the right and two single trefoil-headed lights, one to the centre and one to left. Weathered buttress to extreme right has dressed quoins and gable with recessed trefoil. South porch is oak and timber-framed on stone plinth. Scalloped bargeboard. Ogeed angle struts to collar. Shingled gable front with cross. Returns have two rows of panels, the top rows partly open. The roof is single framed and tiled. South door- way has moulded two-centred head with label running into a string confined by the porch. Interior has wagon roof to nave with one cambered and chamfered tie-beam, perhaps C17. Chancel roof has trussed rafters with curly V-struts from collar. Chancel has a trefoil-headed piscina. On the north wall is a square headed aumbry and a stone tablet for John Downes, died 1687, with scrolled margins, putto-head, segmental pediment and achievement. Communion table, probably C17, within a later table. Harmonium is late C19 by Bell Piano & Organ Co Limited, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, with "mouse proof" pedals. Chancel arch is two-centred with label running into strings. Nave has heavily constructed oak pews, probably C18 with moulded backs and ends. Upper parts of walls have plank posts and rails producing a timber-framed effect. C13 font has octagonal bowl and stem. Circa 1900 brass ewer in form of tapered cylinder with hinged lid and large spout. (BoE, p 233; RCHM, Vol III, p 136).

Listing NGR: SO3657067202

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149539

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 136
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 233

End of official listing