HILL END FARMHOUSE WITH ADJOINING HOP KILNS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301761

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: HILL END FARMHOUSE WITH ADJOINING HOP KILNS, WESTON BEGGARD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILL END FARMHOUSE WITH ADJOINING HOP KILNS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301761 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:02:47.

Location

Statutory Address: HILL END FARMHOUSE WITH ADJOINING HOP KILNS, WESTON BEGGARD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Weston Beggard

National Grid Reference: SO 57871 41469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTON BEGGARD CP WESTON BEGGARD LANE SO 54 SE 2/179 Hill End Farmhouse with adjoining hop kilns 20.10.52 (Formerly listed as Hill End Farmhouse GV II* Farmhouse. Dated 1601 with later C17 additions and further additions of C18 and C20; mid-C19 hop kilns. Coursed and dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, timber-framed slightly later addition with wattle- and-daub infill and sandstone plinth completely encased with render; sand- stone rubble C18 outbuilding now incorporated into body of house by C20 stone and brick additions and alterations, tiled roof. Earlier house, single room in depth with stair turret and porch, aligned north/south with slightly later timber-framed addition adjoining to north end, further additions to south-west obscuring former porch extend to adjoin with C18 building to north-west terminating in pair of mid-C19 circular hop kilns. South front: two storeys, attic and cellar, gable end of earlier building to right with raised verges and 3-light stone-mullioned window in gable, 4-light mullioned and transomed window below and 3-light mullioned window to cellar, stair turret to recessed right hand return with Tudor arched doorway and 2-light stone-mullioned windows to right hand return of turret. C20 addition to left with stone-mullioned windows echoing those of original house. Large stack with three diagonal-plan brick shafts. Interior reveals former porch to south-west with semi-circular-headed archway with imposts and moulded jambs, inner Tudor arched doorway, ovolo moulded ceiling beams throughout with fine cross-beamed ceiling with ovolo mouldings and elaborate stops to former first floor room, now sub-divided, moulded architraves to doorways, winder staircase in turret with polygonal-sided newel. Former outbuilding to north-west now forming part of kitchen on ground floor with interrupted tie-beam trusses and swept bracing to collar.

Listing NGR: SO5787141469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 155048

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing