This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1302088

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Preston Wynne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 154027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 54 NE PRESTON WYNNE CP -

5/62 Church of the Holy Trinity

- 26.1.67 GV II*

Parish church. "1727" incised on keystone over west door, consecrated 1730, altered in mid-C19. Sandstone, ashlar, plain tiled roof. Provincial Baroque- style west tower, four-bay gothicised nave. West tower: three stages, embattled top with pyramidal corner pinnacles. Oeil-de-boeuf to west side at first stage, another to south side between first and second stages; semi- circular headed.arch to north in first stage; bold string course separates top from second stage; top stage has semi-circular headed arches with dropped keystones, one each to south and north and a round-headed lancet to east and north., Nave: formerly had four semi-circular headed windows with dropped keystones to each side (scars visible in south, but not north wall), replaced in mid-C19 by two 2-light trefoiled windows and two lancets to south and only two windows to north. Three-light mid-C19 east window. Entry from west by double early C18 doors each having five fielded panels under segmental moulded arch with dropped keystone set beneath a cornice supported by two pilasters. Interior: C19 arch-brace collar trusses supported from corbels; c18 communion table and contemporary font with hexagonal basin; moulded stem and base; front C19 pews inscribed with names of important parochial residences, the rear ones being numbered for poorer persons of the parish according to conditions specified on board under tower. C18 board also under tower gives list of benefactors towards the building of the s church, eg "Most Noble Ja Duke of Chandos 5.5.0", under a painting of the church, by Wick of Hereford as it then was. The building is conspicuous in the landscape, yet sited away from present roads and houses amid fields which bear the undulations of a deserted, probably medieval village.

Listing NGR: SO5587846580

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 55878 46580

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302088 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 08:19:58.

End of official listing