Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302324

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, 8, CHURCH LANE


Ordnance survey map of THE GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302324 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 06:41:45.


Statutory Address: THE GRANGE, 8, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wilburton

National Grid Reference: TL 47931 75045



18/39 No. 8 (The Grange) 5.2.52 GV II

House. Late C15 and C17. Timber-frame part exposed and part plaster rendered, and red brick. Hipped roof and gabled roof with end parapet on kneelers. Both plain tiled. End stack to hall, and inserted stack to crosswing. Hall and crosswing plan. Two storeys. Late C15 crosswing formerly a parlour crosswing to possible open hall. First floor jettied on north-east end having bull nose joists on shaped brackets. Exposed first floor framing with curved downward wall bracing. Modern leaded light casements. Hall range is late C17. Timber-framed with red brick ground floor and gable end. Two storeys. Similar C20 three and two leaded light casements. Doorway in reentrant angle between hall and wing. A small lean-to addition has been made to the parlour wing in the early C20. Interior: Crosswing is structurally in three bays with most of the centre bay now occupied by the chimney and back-to-back hearths which were inserted in the C17. The three bays were originally probably divided into two rooms. The variation in the mouldings indicates this. The prick posts in the room to the north-east and the main post which they support have an ogee and a cavetto moulding terminating in stops. The joists are laid flat and are of substantial scantling with close centres. The middle rail has a chamfered lower edge. The C17 fireplace in this room has been rebuilt. In the room to the south-west the main beam and prick posts have chamfer mouldings. There is an inglenook inserted in this room. At first floor small chamber hearths with splayed backs. There is a crown-post roof. The roof has been rebuilt and the end hipped. The two trusses that remain have plain posts and staggered two-way bracing to the collar purlin. Each truss has framing for a partition at first floor and in the roof indicating that the first floor was divided into three rooms or chambers all open to the roof. The C17 part has been repaired internally following a fire. The lintel over the inglenook is embattled and is possibly reset.

V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. IV, p168

Listing NGR: TL4793175045


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 49507

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953), 168

End of official listing