This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1302336



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wilburton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49512

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



28/44 No. 68


Cottage formerly the Old Chequers PH. 1662, extended by one bay at east end C18. Red brick, Flemish bond and plain tiled steeply pitched roof with square red brick stack having a string course and later gault brick to the upper courses. At east end, a gault brick stack. Single range plan originally of two bays. One storey and attic. Three small gable dormers with wood casements, C19-C20. Three ground floor small pane modern casements in enlarged openings on either side of lobby entry doorway. There is a straight joint in the brickwork between the bay at the east end and the main range. The outshut is probably C18, and has had the roof raised. In the garden is a late C17 red brick barn, English bond, with pantiled roof. Interior: Back to back inglenook hearths have been rebuilt in the rear wall. Part of the chimney brickwork has been removed and a staircase inserted from the north side. Early C18 doorway off the lobby entry has a half glazed door of six glazed lights with ovolo glazing bars and retaining original glass to one pane with scratchings of 1766, 1846 and 1909. Four raised and fielded panels to the lower stage. The other doorway from the lobby entry has late C17 door of three rebated vertical planks with mouldings at the rebate and on the room side, raised and fielded panels. There are other similar doors of three vertical planks with mouldings at the rebates and strap hinges terminating in fleur-de-lys. One door at first floor has original architrave with cyma moulding. Two first floor chambers have original hearths. One is exposed and has red brickwork, now painted and a wood lintel with ogee stop chamfer. Side purlin roof has chamfered main rafters suggesting that the ceiling at first floor is an insertion.

Listing NGR: TL4816474961

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 48164 74961


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:39:50.

End of official listing