Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302473

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: THE MANOR


Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 03:52:27.


Statutory Address: THE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Windrush

National Grid Reference: SP 19269 13293


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WINDRUSH WINDRUSH VILLAGE SP 1913 10/269 The Manor 23.1.52 GV II

Manor house. C16, early C18, early C20 extension dated and initialled 'S 1919' on datestone on canted bay at gable end of C16 range. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, ashlar facade to early C18 range. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Basically 'L'-shaped plan. Early C18 range runs forwards right of C16 range. Early C20 extension at gable end of early C18 range. C16 range; 1½ storeys. Flat-chamfered plinth. Three-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with transom and stopped hood left of projecting C20 gabled porch. Three-light stone-mullioned casement with round-headed lights with carved spandrels and stepped mouldings to mullions. Two-light stone-mullioned casement above. C20 plank door within flat-chamfered basket-headed surround with stopped hood to porch. Reused carved stone decorated with a bird perching on a bowl above doorway. Heraldic shield bearing the arms of the Hungerford family and the date 1570 to right of porch (q.v. Hungerford Chapel in Church of St. Peter). Heraldic shield decorated with wheatsheaf left of porch. All carved stone probably reset. Two-storey stone-mullioned canted bay, dated 1919, at left gable end. Rusticated quoins. Two storeys and attic lit by hipped 2-light roof dormer. Stone-mullioned cross windows within double- chamfered surrounds to ground and first floors. Window second from left on ground floor formerly a doorway, now with window inserted. Three-light stone-mullioned casement to ground floor right. Dripmould over ground floor windows. Right-hand bay now partly obscured by 1 1/2 storey C19 extension at right angles on right with two 2-light stone-mullioned casements, one within former doorway. Early C20 three-light stone-mullioned casement in gable end. Tall two-light stone-mullioned casements to first floor at rear of C18 range. Saddleback moulded and flat coping at gable ends. Axial and gable-end stacks with moulded capping. Interior of C16 range; C19 stone fireplace with basket-headed surround, carved spandrels and moulded stops in hall, seven quatrefoils above (probably restored). Carved heads and flowers (resembling debased ballflower) at the centre of each quatrefoil. Tie beam with stepped stops and deep flat chamfers. Fireplace in room off hall with ornate flower and fruit decoration and egg and dart moulding. Short length of C17 balustrade with splat balusters (probably representing a reused remnant of the original staircase), present staircase C19 with turned balusters. Roof trusses with arch-braced roof trusses. Possibly C18 fireplace with fluted decoration and decorated frieze. C18 range; stone fireplace with bolection moulding. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP1926913293


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 130706

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing